+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Deploying Windows Mobile Devices (XPA) with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2 in Technical; Hi, Can someone please help on "How can I Synchronize a Pocket PC with Exchange Server 2003". I have been ...

Thank Post

Deploying Windows Mobile Devices (XPA) with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2

Hi,

Can someone please help on "How can I Synchronize a Pocket PC with Exchange Server 2003".

I have been asked to deploy emails from exchange server to windows mobile devices. I have windows Server 2003 SP2 and windows mobile version 5. I need to somehow get the windows mobile device to sync with exchange so both can receive emails as it comes through to exchance. The mobile device has internet connection so it is ready to go.

Please help.

Thank Post
    lovely and easy, add an exchange email account and use the webmail address. set to sync when items arrive, voila!.(may not work with orange!)

Thank Post
    Hi strawberry,

I have set up the activeSync on the windows mobile device but it still does not work. Please can you provide step-by-step instructions please. I'm abit new to the exchange environment. Much appreicated matey.

We have a OWA but this can only be access internally through our intranet.
    Last edited by nemo226; 15th April 2008 at 11:55 AM.

Thank Post
    You need to have Outlook installed onto your pc and then get it to sync with the exchange server via HTTPS. You then setup active sync on the PC and sync the mobile device. Now you simply specifiy what you want to sync on the PC (ie. Calendar, Contacts etc)

This will then copy everything you selected earlier across to the mobile device. If your device has mobile phone technology, then you could use a piece of software called EMOZE to push the emails and calendar changes to your device when your computer is not at hand and you require an important email!

Thank Post
    I can sync it on the desktop by connecting a usb cable and following the instructions from Synchronise your device with Microsoft Exchange Server - Computing Services - University of Liverpool

However i do not get up-to-date emails. The above instructions only download the emails i have at the time from my MS outlook. What i want to do is to deploy the email from exchange server to the windows mobile devices. This way i can be up-to-date emails both on my XPA and MS outlook.

I am having real trouble finding instructions on how to implement this. Can someone help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This article is probably what you are after:
    How to Synchronize a Pocket PC with Exchange 2003?

My setup uses exchange push and it is fantastic, no extra software needed. You do need to have a fixed ip and have the activesync service accessible to the internet though.

Here is some more reference stuff:
    Setting Up Exchange 2003 to Synchronize with Windows Mobile :: Apr/May 2006

Thank Post
    start, messages, menu, new account, outlook email, type in your webmail address(possibly turn off the ssl checkbox).

that should add the account, then you need to goto activesync on your phone and change the schudule to "as items arrive". I have a slight issue atm where it dones't notify me if the email is automatically moved to a subfolder, so be aware of that when testing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    push e-mail is the cats conkers... i was sat in italy, connected to someone's unsecure wireless and got all my work e-mails :-P

Piece of advice would be to only set this up for yourself. Get used to it and then set it up for other peoples if they want that.

Fiddly things PDA's... just gotta play and play until it happens! if you mess it up you can always re-flash it

Thank Post
    indeed...my Ipaq514 WM6 phone worked brilliantly first try, then I did the firmware update or 2 that came out..then I couldn't get it to work with wifi net/exchange at all.

So me and the NM set about it along with a test IPaq 11x that was also playing up, and by sheer fiddling we've got them both running. I now have exchange work mails, home Site5 mails and in building net working fine.

Next thing I want to try is the VoIP features of it..and before I do, I shall back up the settings in case I end up needing to reflash..again..

Thank Post
    Strawberry, are you talking about OWA as my webmail? The company is using OWA on the intranet and i cannot access OWA externally. I think this is my problem. Is there a work around to this? My XPA is on o2 network.

Thank Post
    i am indeed , apologies. cant think of an external way of doing it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo226 View Post
    Strawberry, are you talking about OWA as my webmail? The company is using OWA on the intranet and i cannot access OWA externally. I think this is my problem. Is there a work around to this? My XPA is on o2 network.
    Unless you have vpn access no, your only option would be to hassle your company to set it up to be externally accessible. You may be able to get access externally via IMAP or POP3 if your company has these set up but those options won't give you push email. You could also try redirecting all of your email to a windows live mail account which, if you have Windows Mobile 6 on the device will give you push email.

It may be best if you talk to the people who run your network directly and ask what they suggest.

Thank Post
    you could conifgure your exchange account to forward mail to another account , and set that account up on your pda.

Thank Post
    How would i set this up? I have a hotmail account. If i create an external account on exchange and forward my exchange emails to my hotmail account, how can i set this up on the mobile XPA device. How would i configure the XPA to retrieve my emails from hotmail?

Thank Post
    you'll need a pop3 address, typically these are supplied by isps.

start>messaging>menu>tools>new acciunt>other then fill in from there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast