+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Ghost problem in Technical; The other week we took delivery of 15 Toshiba A200 laptops. Ghosting these should be a simple matter but Iím ...
    Thank Post

Ghost problem

The other week we took delivery of 15 Toshiba A200 laptops. Ghosting these should be a simple matter but Iím having great trouble with them.

Firstly I tried using an image I made last year with a similar Toshiba laptop. From the outside they identical so it was worth a try. I booted with the latest ultimate boot CD and applied the image. On rebooting the machine kept restarting over and over. Next was to reinstall windows over the top of the image but after booting from the windows CD it complained it couldnít find any hard drives. The machine comes with a recovery DVD but on running, it completely over rights the HD thereby loosing my image.

I donít want to install all the programs from scratch as there are loads and Iíll be at it all week. All I need is to be able to boot from a windows cd!

Someone fetch me a small childÖ I need to kick something...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    It sounds as though these new laptops have completely different chipsets to your existing models. It could well be the case that your older laptops are single core processors, whereas a lot of new machines are dual core. It's all down to the Windows HAL.

Although there are methods to use a single image across multiple hardware, I'd never recommend it myself. It's always better (and easier longterm) to create different images for every model of hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Is the SATA option set correctly in the BIOS?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Try obtaining the SATA driver and then use this driver by pressing F6 during the XP install. Also make sure you are using XP SP2

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's almost certainly not the HAL but the IDE controller that's the problem. Your new laptops probably have SATA drives; the older ones might have had EIDE or SATA but with a different controller.

One quick thing to check; is AHCI enabled in the BIOS? If so, can you turn it off? This may let the machine start and you can then re-enable it later.

If that isn't the case then you need to add the IDE driver to the image file. This article on the My PKB blog shows the basics of what to do but it's a bit more complex when you have a Ghost image rather than a WIM file.

What you do is to copy the image onto the machine in the normal way but don't reboot it. Instead, boot the machine from a BartPE or UltimateBootCD. This will give you access to the C: drive and the registry hives.
    Run regedit and use Load Hive to open the file c:\windows\system32\config\system - load it to HKEY_USERS and call the loaded file temp; it will then fit with the .reg file you're going to make.
    Boot a working laptop (you have still got one that works, haven't you - if not, just recover it!) and find out what drivers are needed and create the reg file. Import that reg file as shown on the "My PKB" blog, copy the necessary files and restart the machine.

The other alternative (which I'm just about to try!) is to use the BartPE plugin called FixIDE; it's also mentioned in the blog above.

Thank Post
    Cheers... whoever said it was going to be easy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread