+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Problems with desktop picture after location of redirected folders as changed. in Technical; Set Up. Roaming profiles, Folders redirected via GPO for Desktop and Application data. We recently had a new server and ...
    Thank Post

Problems with desktop picture after location of redirected folders as changed.

Set Up.

Roaming profiles, Folders redirected via GPO for Desktop and Application data.

We recently had a new server and i moved all the home directories and profiles to the new server. problem was i ran scripts to set the new paths while some users were still logged in and i also forgot to chaneg the location of the redirected folders in GPo for a couple of days as well. ...

Now all is fine except they do not get the wallpaper that is proveded by a the GPO. The wallpaper location is correct and if i delete someones profile or create a new one the wallpaper appears.

What i am trying to find out is which part of the profile is casuing the problem. I know if i delete the application data folder only and let this recreate it works but i dont want to do this as it contains a lot more important info to the profile.

Does anyone know or have any ideas? as i dont want to recreate a new profile for everyone.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Difficult one I have to say. The Application Data folder is usually quite complex, so you might be better off replacing just the Application Data folder for all users.

Looking at it briefly, I would of thought logically it may be in Application Data > Microsoft > Windows > Themes.

There should be just the one *.theme file in here. You could experiment and try overwriting this. I've never tried in practice, however I do know wallpapers can be included within a *.theme file.

Let me know if it works

Thank Post

Confirmed

Although this thread is quite old , I can confirm that the wallpaper is stored in the following file (on Vista at least):

AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Custom.th eme
    If you open this file in Notepad you will come across a section as shown in my screenshot attachment. As you can see, the wallpaper in my case is under my Pictures folder of the %userprofile% location.

I suspect that in the OP's case, this string in each user's .theme file is still pointing to the old server.

I hope this is of use to somebody in the future.

Ross
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread