Poll: What VLE solution are you using or going to use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, VLEs in Technical; Just about to incorporate Moodle into a Blue Spheres Web Site. Had a look at Class Server, then Learnwise, but ...

Thank Post

Re: VLEs

Just about to incorporate Moodle into a Blue Spheres Web Site. Had a look at Class Server, then Learnwise, but given the comments on both and the costs, we decided that Moodle was the best option, at least to start with.

Thank Post

I am planning on using Sharepoint, but all this talk of Moodle got me interested. Since I tend to steer clear of IIS and use Apache anyway (even in school for the current test intranet) I decided to install Moodle on an XP machine at home and use the XAMPP control panel to run with the Apache, MySQL and PHP stuff.

I am amazed at how easy Moodle is to get up and running. The only problem I did encounter was actually unzipping the Moodle install files. On a P4 3GHz with 1.5GB RAM it was maxing out the processor. So I copied the file to my G5 and unzipped it there and then copied the Moodle folder over-- putting it into the htdocs folder. Fired up the localhost/moodle page and went ahead and ran a basic configuration.

Voila!

It's actually looking very promising. It's easy to configure courses and users, and the forum component on its own is worth its weight in gold (virtual gold obviously since it's a virtual environment ;-)

Gonna have a real test of this *before* I think any further about Sharepoint. Question is- if I download Mandriva Linux 2006 will this install and configure as easily?

...I'll let ya know.

:-)

Thank Post

Have you seen all of my free courses for Moodle? KS3 ICT and some computing stuff:

http://www.e-subjects.co.uk

Save you a few months building your own :-) I also have a one for the KS3 tests. Not ready for prime time but I don't mind sharing it among friends. Let me know your email address if anybody out there wants it.

I am interested in both comments about sharpoint / class server. I have asked this elsewhere but trying to collect as much information as possible and would be really interested in what you felt moodle was better at and why (and vice verser)

Darren

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Paul: I'm trying to persuade Guy over at LDC to cough up for an instance of Moodle with the EMBC/NeLP SSO that will work between multiple sites ... If you fancy joining in on some joint bits and pieces ...

Probably going to use it for the local literacy stuff first but I know Andrew over at CCC is interested ... fancy lending your weight to it too? At the moment the literacy stuff is hosted by Brooke Weston, but Bodington (or pegasus as it has been branded by them) does not have a nice login (unless you have spent a good period rebuild modules).

Interested?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hey Dagza some great courses there. I must've enrolled ages ago coz I have a login and it still works! Your courses are still on our site and quality stuff they are too.
    Excited to see you have a teacher induction course - just about to email some of the guys at my place to see what they think. Top stuff!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123