+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, [SOLVED] Home Network - Windows Media Sharing Issues with WMP11 and XP Pro in Technical; Hey everyone. I've got 2 Windows XP machines here on my home network, both running Windows XP Pro. I'm actually ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs up [SOLVED] Home Network - Windows Media Sharing Issues with WMP11 and XP Pro

Hey everyone.

I've got 2 Windows XP machines here on my home network, both running Windows XP Pro. I'm actually getting them ready for a friend of mine. She's going to use a new machine I built for her as her main machine, and her old system I'm turning into a shared media server.

So what I've done so far, is got her old computer, downloaded and installed Windows Media Player 11, transfered all her songs to her My Music folder, went to her Monitored Folders list in Windows Media Player 11 and confirmed My Music as a location, and clicked ok to re-search that folder and add all of her songs. Worked perfectly as it should.

Now the issue. I turn on Windows Media Sharing, and set the sharing to Music and Videos, unchecked pictures, and set all star ratings, and all content ratings to be shown. However, in the "Share my media to:" field, there is no computers or devices. On my network here, there is my main machine, her new computer, and her old computer I'm sharing the media off of. My machine and her new machine can't see her computer in the left panel in Windows Media Player 11, and her old computer [Shared Media Computer] can't see my computer or her new computer in the "Share my media to:" list. Therefore I have nothing to "Allow" or "Deny" or "Configure".

When I transfer her two computers to her house and wire them in, I'd like for the media server to be able to share Windows Media to her new computers Windows Media Player, the downstairs computers Windows Media Player 11 on XP Professional, and the Xbox 360 downstairs.

My roommate next to me [on another IP address] uses his PC and shares media to his Xbox 360. That works flawlessly.

Please let me know if I've missed something incredibly obvious, or if there's no way to share Windows Media Player 11 content to another Windows Media Player 11 library on the same network.

Thanks!

-------------------------
    ********EDIT********
    -------------------------

Alright so I found a solution that works for now. I just added the folders on the "server" computer as shared and hidden with a $. MyMusic$, MyPictures$, MyVideos$ and then added write and modify permissions so people could add songs and media to the library in the house. I then set the Monitor Folders on any "client" media players to monitor those hidden shares. Works perfectly. It found all the media files on the server computer.
    Last edited by link470; 11th July 2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Found a solution

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread