+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Printing issues, Mandatory profiles in Technical; At my school, we have a library with 3 win2k pro sp4 computers. All are set up with mandatory profiles ...

Thank Post

Printing issues, Mandatory profiles

At my school, we have a library with 3 win2k pro sp4 computers. All are set up with mandatory profiles and local policy lockdowns. There is one printer in this room, attached to a trendnet TE100-P2U1P print server. The print share has been installed along with the drivers to a Windows 2000 server machine, SP4.

My problem is this. I can install the printer from //print, and printing works great, under the administrator account. When I switch the the student account (mandatory profile), I can see the printer, and can send jobs to it. The print job goes through like it worked, but obviously nothing prints. I have created a test account, regular profile, no policy, and it prints.

So, The Admin account will print, a test account will print, but the account with the mandatory profile will not, even if I give the student account admin rights. The installed printer shows up on all profiles. I am at my wits end, and seem to want to believe the mandatory profiles are part of my problem.

One bit of info - the original printer for these machines was installed when the machines were imaged for installation. Since then we have changed printers. Is it possible the mandatory profile is holding onto old print drivers, etc, and not letting the jobs from the current printer go through?

It would be awesome if I could get afew pointers. Thanks!

Thank Post

Re: Printing issues, Mandatory profiles

You don't use any print quota software do you?

Yesturday I was finally fixing the problems with my HP K850 and testing it but I couldn't print more than one page at a time - until I realised that the test account I was using didn't have sufficient printing rights. I was definately having one of those days!

Thank Post

No, no quota software.

Still working on this - print jobs are piling up in the queue, the jobs are communicating, they just arent printing ........on the student account. All other accounts are working flawlessly.

Student account in in the users group, full printing rights.

Thank Post

"trendnet TE100-P2U1P print server"
    you hit the nail on the head.

Thank Post

Yeah, its crap equipment, but it is functioning. I have ruled out the print server as the problem, and am now more focused on the workstation side. The print server chooses not to work only for 1 logon? The server is fairly transparent, any user logged in should be able to send jobs through it.

argh!

Thank Post

its not showing up as paused or offline is it? I used to have a problem when assigning printers per machine with printui, it would sometimes take ages before it got itself sorted out, often it showed up but wouldn't print. Since changing to adding the printers with a vbs script in startup and logon, I've had no issues.

Try printing from publisher, thats one that does complain if the driver isn't really installed.

Thank Post

OK, I deleted the student account completely, deleted the profile, and created a new student account.

This fresh new account is still not allowing me to print. Any account named student will not work, period. Is this to do with the SID number? The fact that an SID number is assigned to each user name, and stays, even if deleted? I can change another account name to student, and that accounts printing capabilities dissapear as well. I really am at a loss.

Thank Post

Not sure if this is the same problem and you may have tried what I am about to suggest.
    Had a similar problems with a printer change over. I had to delete all the profiles on the PC (use a default profile on the server which is copied to the local PC when the user first logs on.)
    I'm not sure how this would work with a Mandatory Profile setup but I suspect that the mandatory profile is remembering the printer settings.

I also vaguely remember some problems setting up a netgrear print server, but as you can print from the admin account I would look at the profile.

Hope this helps!

Thank Post

Well, I fixed the problem. I renamed the student profile to student1, and it worked. Had something to do with how the original student profile and printers were set up. So strange.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread