+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Domain Trust in Technical; Hi all, Well let me set the picture for you all. We have 2 networks and our exchange is on ...
    Thank Post

Domain Trust

Hi all,

Well let me set the picture for you all. We have 2 networks and our exchange is on the admin network. Now our exchange is connected into the curriculum network with a patch cable so we can re route some dns so the students can use owa without off our internet and back down the admin internet.

I would like for the students to use outlook on the curriculum network now, becuase our students have accounts and mail boxes on the admin side as well as there normal account on the currirulum side there passwords are different, now would a domain turst between the two mirror the students passwords from one to the other. What i am after is somthing like password mirror which RM used. I dont know much about domain trusts so will this work.

hope that all makes sense.

Mark

Thank Post
    Hi Mark,

If you setup a Microsoft domain or forest trust it will not share the same passwords/user accounts but your users will be able to access resources from both domains by logging on to either domain. i.e if a users logs in to to the curriculum domain they will also have access to assigned admin resources without authenticating again. All the info is available from Microsoft and is fair simple to follow.

Hope that helps.

Darren.

3. Thanks to spik376 from:

ful56_uk (3rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    I'm not sure that the ttrust will do what you want. It sounds as if your pupils all have user accounts on the admin network so that they can have Exchange mailboxes (this seems a lot less secure than putting the Exchange box on the curriculum network to begin with).

AFAIK, 'trusted' users cannot have mailboxes. What you are actually after is something to synchronise the passwords.

Honestly though... consider moving your Exchange box to the curriculum network - you will then only have double accounts for a handful of users and the kids won't have admin logons.

5. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The easier way is to move your exchange box to the curriculum network and make separate accounts on the curriculum network for admin staff. Theses accounts will be used for e-mail only and these users can get access to the mailbox via outlook web access.

7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Theses accounts will be used for e-mail only and these users can get access to the mailbox via outlook web access.
    You don't even need to use OWA... Outlook will work quite happily - in fact this is how I do it for our admin staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oh right will it, well there you are then. No messing round with trusts.

10. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Cheers guys, I new I would get some answers with some common sense here. What about, putting a second exchange box on the curriculum network for the student mail boxes and getting the admin exchange to forward messages to the students ones? it that possible? being on different networks.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do you mean? do yo want admin staff to e-mail students?

Thank Post
    to be honest, we have 2 networks with 2 AD and i want both staff and students to use outlook, so the thinking was putting the other exchange box on the curriculum network then joining the exchange system some how. I am going to think some more. At the momment joining the domains is not an option.

Sorry to confuse you all

Thank Post
    @ful56_uk: As I mentioned, simply move the Exchange box to the curriculum domain (only 1 server is required) and set up your admin users as regular users on the curriculum network. You will obviously need access to the box from both networks (dual home maybe?).

Those people that use the curriculum network will transparently authenticate when they use Outlook. The admin ones will be promted for a password (which they can tell Windows to remember and they won't be prompted again) when they start Outlook and they just enter their curriculum login details.

15. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Thank Post
    Just hijacking this thread here.. :P

We too have separate curr/admin networks with an exchange 2k3 server, which for the past year or so (since we had it installed), has run solely on our curriculum network, with users using Outlook 2003. Our admin users have used OWA as we were told allowing them to use Outlook 2k3 was not possible nor was it supported.

However, we have been told that it should be possible, and quite ignorantly thought we could just link the 2nd exchange NIC up to our admin network and set the IP config accordingly. This has been to no avail (yes, server pings, but can't seem to set up the exchange server in outlook 2003 settings). We have then been told a trust would be needed (even though every single mailbox, for users on both networks, all reside on the curriculum network).

Are we being ignorant in thinking it is this easy? Is it actually this easy to just hook up the 2nd nic and voila? It seems to be very similar to what the OP was requesting, with the only difference being we already have all user mailboxes on 1 server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think Ric can help you with this. But i would leave it if it isnt broken.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    You should only have to pop in the NIC, join to the admin network and it should go I would have thought, unless there is some hard coding somewhere for it to only use the IP of the Academic network card

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread