+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Windows Thread, XP SP3 in Technical; I've installed it on 5 machines so far. Three of the installs went without any problems but the other two ...
    Thank Post

Smile

I've installed it on 5 machines so far. Three of the installs went without any problems but the other two kept stalling. After a quick reboot, roll back to SP2, then restarting in safe mode, the install went fine!

Thank Post
    I'm currently in the process of rebuilding our Images (only 4 ) with SP3 and working out a plan to deploy this on our current systems. The key thing for me is that this includes all the hotfix's that you previously had to contact MS for. We had to install 1/2 of these on every image we made to fix a problem with login times. So it's pretty handy to no longer have to do that.

Thank Post
    It also includes the fix for the PAC error that would occasionally cause a PC to uninstal all of it's software due to it thinking it wasn't part of the domain anymore, then it would realise that it was and put it all back on again.

Group Policy settings are removed in Windows XP on startup or during runtime

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    finally, that bug was bloody annoying on a slow pc.

Thank Post
    Especially when some poor kid was sat staring at it :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh joy - looks like Ive got a half term of rebuilding RIS images...

Has anyone tried doing an slipstream yet? Might give it a go on my test box tomorrow. I will post up any findings...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You might want to check out this site which provides a really good run down on SP3, things that are added and things that are likely to go wrong:

Tech ARP - Secret Pre-Release Details On Windows XP Service Pack 3

8. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

link470 (29th April 2008), speckytecky (30th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeh I have merged it into our wininstall client reset image without issue but Dos_box has been having issues here: XP SP3 Slipsteamed CD rejects S\N

10. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

link470 (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Get it from M$ now from here.

12. 5 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

DMcCoy (1st May 2008), eean (29th April 2008), link470 (29th April 2008), speckytecky (30th April 2008), TheScarfedOne (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Well I have used the version posted in this thread a few days ago, the one billed as an RTM and managed to slipstream it, along with IE7 & MP11 into a new ISO using NLite. Nlite is very very good if any of you haven't already tried it.

There is a technique to getting SP3, IE7 & MP11 together into a single install though. One problem I have found so far though is that the Remote Desktop MMC doesn't work properly (won't connect to console) with SP3, or the version I got the other day anyway.

There is a fix though. If you take the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll files from the \windows\system32 folder on an XP with SP2, then copy them into the same folder on the SP3 machine, it works as it should again.

14. Thanks to Modey from:

cookie_monster (29th April 2008)

Thank Post
    I had just come accross that very same issue, it confused the hell out of me for a min as i have a save console connection that clearly wasn't anymore. Where did you find the fix.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I had just come accross that very same issue, it confused the hell out of me for a min as i have a save console connection that clearly wasn't anymore. Where did you find the fix.

Cheers.
    Can't remember, I googled for it. Turns out the reason people were doing it was because the RDP client was expiring in the initial released of SP3. Not because people couldn't connect to the console in the MMC.

It looks like they have changed the command line switch from /console to /admin and that the MMC for remote desktop actually launches MSTSC.exe inside the MMC window. I guess it's being supplied with the wrong switch ...

Anyway, the fix that I mentioned does work ... for about 10 seconds, then windows sees that the files have been changed and copies over the problem version of the files again. If you copy the SP2 files over the SP3 ones in Safe Mode, then it seems to work properly.

Thank Post
    To help protect our customers, we plan to put filtering in place shortly to prevent Windows Update from offering both service packs to systems running Microsoft Dynamics RMS. Once filtering is in place, we expect to release Windows XP SP3 to Windows Update and Download Center.

Until we have published a fix for this issue, we advise Microsoft Dynamics RMS customers to not install either service pack.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release to Web (RTW) Delayed - SuperSite Blog

18. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

link470 (30th April 2008)

Thank Post
    The reg has more info.

MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch

Microsoft has pulled the general release of Windows XP service pack three (SP3) at the eleventh hour, blaming a “compatibility issue” for the cock-up.

The software giant said late yesterday it was suspending mass download of the long-awaited service pack while it investigates the problem between its point-of-sale app – Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) – and both XP SP3 and Vista SP1.

It said in an email that the update, which was released to manufacturing and volume licensing customers a week ago and was supposed to be generally available from yesterday, will not be pumped out to the masses via its Windows Update (WU) website as planned until the company fixes the bug.

However, the firm hasn’t pinpointed when XP SP3 will be available, much to the chagrin of Vista-shy customers who have been patiently waiting for the update to land.

“In the last few days, we have uncovered a compatibility issue between Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) and both Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)," said the firm.

"In order to make sure customers have the best possible experience, we have decided to delay releasing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) to the web.”

It also said that filtering would be put in place “shortly” to prevent WU spitting out both service packs to systems running Dynamics RMS. Once that tweak has been made, XP SP3 will be made available online.

Microsoft added that customers running its point-of-sale app, which is used mainly by small to medium-sized retailers, should swerve installing the service packs on either OS until a fix has been provided.

Redmond pushed back the release date of XP’s final service pack several times, and was supposed to be withdrawing sales of the operating system from the market at the end of June.

But earlier this month Microsoft, in a somewhat embarrassing U-turn that suggested the firm was pricking up its ears and listening to unfavourable customer feedback about Vista, said it would continue to sell Windows XP Home for bargain basement PCs beyond its scheduled 30 June kill-date .

Just last week Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer hinted that XP could be reprieved from end-of-life if enough customers demand it. ®

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All the new builds that Ive put SP3 on this week are still listed in WSUS as 0% after 4 days now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread Information