+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Windows Thread, XP SP3 in Technical; Originally Posted by Geoff Our WSUS servers have synced SP3 now too. Same here, need to do some testing before ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Our WSUS servers have synced SP3 now too.
    Same here, need to do some testing before rolling it out.

Gonna wait till next holidays I think.

Thank Post
    I love the way that on the WSUS description it finishes with "After you install this update you 'may' need to restart your computer" :-)

Thank Post
    SP3 oddity.

I have a server that we use to build old workstations (non PXE), this had a copy of a basic XP SP2 CD on it. I've just applied SP3 for a play and the image increased in size by approx 180Mb. When i applied SP3 to the WDS server (again to a flat SP2 image) it only increased by 30Mb.

As both images were at a similar patch level i'm wondering why the images ended up so different in size. Could it be to do with the groveler service on the WDS?

Anyone got a scooby?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    XP SP3 is broken on some of our HP AMD based desktop PCs. This is because HP ship these machines with the Intel 'intelppm' driver (I'm sure anyone who's built images remembers the stop code 0x0000007E error this results in)

Fix is to run the following command in safe mode:
    Code:
    sc config intelppm start=disabled
    Then optionally shout at HP for doing a stupid on their base image.
    Last edited by Geoff; 12th May 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I have just install sp3 from the service pack and not from the widnows update site on a ghosted machine and it does not upgrade ie 7. Also when you run windows updates after the sp3 ie 7 does not appear on the updates list very strange.

After a bit of messing I have found you need to install ie 7 before sp3.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    @ricki - XP SP3 installs an updated/patched version of IE6 from new. You have to install IE7 afterwards.

However if you had XP SP2 with IE7 already installed, XP SP3 will leave IE7 installed. The only change here is that you can no longer uninstall IE7.

Thank Post
    Wow, I'm having a really wierd issue with XP SP3. Most machines went alright. But I just formatted a new machine here I'm building for a client on the side, installed windows, all new components. I connected to the internet, ran Windows Update and installed drivers as I usually do, however this is doing something I've never seen a fresh install of windows do on boot. EVERY TIME Windows boots up, it gives me a security warning of if I want to load each driver. EVERY TIME. Even if I uncheck "always ask before opening this file". Anyone else come across this yet? Just to see if it was a fluke, I reinstalled 3 times. I'm on my third try. Each time doing drivers, windows update, and office 2003 install in different order.

It's really really annoying. I swear I've seen something like it befor...

Oh...Oh wait...

Thank Post
    I have just install sp3 from the service pack and not from the widnows update site on a ghosted machine and it does not upgrade ie 7. Also when you run windows updates after the sp3 ie 7 does not appear on the updates list very strange.

After a bit of messing I have found you need to install ie 7 before sp3.
    I've not had this issue when i build an SP3 box it has a fully patched IE6 (SP3 doesn't include 7) and then it pulls IE7 off the WSUS server straight away.

@ Geoff: apparently if you download the full 500> ISO file you don't get the AMD problem it seems MS have missed a patch of some sort out of the 316 Mb version. It' still HP's fault for producing poor images for their desktops but MS have slipped up somewhere as well.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 13th May 2008 at 09:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by link470 View Post
    Wow, I'm having a really wierd issue with XP SP3. Most machines went alright. But I just formatted a new machine here I'm building for a client on the side, installed windows, all new components. I connected to the internet, ran Windows Update and installed drivers as I usually do, however this is doing something I've never seen a fresh install of windows do on boot. EVERY TIME Windows boots up, it gives me a security warning of if I want to load each driver. EVERY TIME. Even if I uncheck "always ask before opening this file". Anyone else come across this yet? Just to see if it was a fluke, I reinstalled 3 times. I'm on my third try. Each time doing drivers, windows update, and office 2003 install in different order.

It's really really annoying. I swear I've seen something like it befor...

Oh...Oh wait...
    Nothing to do with installing drivers - thats just a warning about opening an unknown .exe file. Unchecking "always ask before opening this file" wont make much of a difference if you are only opening it the once anyway.

I think its a feature of IE7 rather than sp3?

In Internet Explorer, click tools - Options
    Under security settings, select "Intranet zone"
    Click the "Sites" button, Uncheck the box that says "Automatically detect intranet network".
    Checked the "Include all network paths (UNCs).
    Click OK

10. 3 Thanks to RabbieBurns:

ICT_GUY (13th May 2008), link470 (13th May 2008), OutToLunch (13th May 2008)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Those files are useless as well, one of them is the realtek sound bloatware driver, its not needed as XP has its own control panel for volume.

You can disable it by going to regedit and removing it from the run section of the registry. I do this on all new pcs to make them start up quicker.

Thank Post
    Another slight annoyance.

With SP2 if i built a fresh box it downloaded all the patches (about 70) including IE7 and Office updates. Now with SP3 it builds then connects to the WSUS and downloads IE7 and that's it, it doesn't matter how long i leave it. Once IE7 has been added it reboots and then downloads all of the Office patches and installs them. This is a bit annoying as it can take to passes of scheduled installs to get upto date.

13. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

ICT_GUY (13th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rreynolds24 View Post
    Nothing to do with installing drivers - thats just a warning about opening an unknown .exe file. Unchecking "always ask before opening this file" wont make much of a difference if you are only opening it the once anyway.

I think its a feature of IE7 rather than sp3?

In Internet Explorer, click tools - Options
    Under security settings, select "Intranet zone"
    Click the "Sites" button, Uncheck the box that says "Automatically detect intranet network".
    Checked the "Include all network paths (UNCs).
    Click OK
    Thanks for your reply! I tried that, and unfortunately the popups are still coming up on every boot. Any other suggestions? I also was suspicious it was IE's doing.

EDIT

Instead of just unchecking Include all network paths (UNC), I unchecked all 3. Still no difference.
    Last edited by link470; 13th May 2008 at 04:31 PM.

Thank Post
    This might affect some people. (myself included).

Microsoft slams OEMs over XP SP3 install cock-up | Channel Register

“Microsoft is aware of a reboot issue experienced by some users who have attempted to install Windows XP SP3,” said a Microsoft spokesman. “While the root cause of this issue is complex, it results from OEMs improperly placing a Windows XP image created for an Intel-based computer onto machines with non-Intel chipsets. Microsoft issued guidance to OEMs advising them to only load Windows XP images onto like hardware in 2004.”

Indeed, the software giant also updated a knowledge base document (888372) on the same day it spat out the final XP service pack on 6 May.

It points out that the Intel processor driver (Intelppm.sys) may try to load on non-Intel-based PCs because of an errant registry key left over from the original Sysprep image that was intended for Intel machines only

Thank Post
    Apparently this isn't an issue if you use the full ISO version.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

17. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

ICT_GUY (14th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    It is lazy on HP's part in my opinion. Funny how no other big OEM has the same problem. In saying that though, you would expect Windows would use the correct file if it detects an AMD or Intel CPU. Maybe it's just too easy on Microsoft's part?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread Information