+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Redirected Files when Offline in Technical; Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I am having trouble running certain programs when used computers are ...

Thank Post

Redirected Files when Offline

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I am having trouble running certain programs when used computers are used offline.

We have a number of Tablet PC and Laptop users, when they open up programs in school everything seems to be working fine,

However, if they go home, the programs don't open (Not all programs, just some), one program that courses a problem is Adobe Acrobat 7.

In my Group Policy I have a OU for Laptop and Tablets, and I have specified in their only to use a Local Profile, (Same person using the same Laptop/Tablet all the time so not filling up with 100's of local profiles) That doesn't seem to fix the problem related to the programs not running.

I'm guessing it's trying to "look" at the Application Data Folder in their profile which is on the server, and thats why it works when connected, but Why is it trying to look at that folder when I've told it to use a local profile?

Any thoughts what I can do to make it work????? Doing my head in now!!!

Regards,

Matt

Thank Post

Re: Redirected Files when Offline

Have you copied a default profile on to the laptop that comes with the network settings in it?

Thank Post

I have had problems with Adobe when the Application Data folder is not accessable, so i suspect you are on the right track. My guess with this is that you will need to enable Loopback policy processing in order for the per user settings to be enabled based in the machine they are using.

Thank Post

bump bump...

Matt - did you ever work out this one?

We now have a load of staff laptops here, so I've been setting them up in conjunction with interactive whiteboards & projectors that many of them recieved.

My trouble is that they have to be on the network - which is great for deploying ActiveStudio / SmartBoard software etc - but when it comes to taking the laptops offline, there the problem lies.

Can anyone suggest the GP settings I should use with the following [rough] idea as to what I want them to do?

The staff use roaming profiles so of course, as yet, when they are unattached from the network and they try and log on, it results in a load of error messages, no start menu, etc etc. How can i set it in GP to change this and what settings should be set?

Also, I notice that everytime it syncronises, it starts copying every share that has been touched i.e. say if a teacher logs on, not only does it start copying her profile/home dir, it starts copying mine and even - it seems - tries to copy the whole hidden share underneath that user. Any suggestions on being able to only sync the profile and home dir for that user would be welcome - along with ways of setting it to run silently.

There was something else, but a nearby pupil has been talking loudly so I've lost my trail of thought lol

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

Ok....

I've got it so that when a staff member uses a laptop, they get a GPO that applies the following:

- Application Data & Desktop - redirected to their own local profile
    - Start Menu - redirected to the All Users Start Menu locally
    - My Documents - here lies the problem...

I've tried redirecting it to local profile. Worked fine of course but then there is no syncronisation with the server hehe

If i have it set to use the user home area [cant remember what its called] and i think other options of pointing it to their network share, I get a error message [when not connected] that it cannot find \\srrvername\username$

Like dur hehe but i wonder whats going on lol

Any ideas?

Nath

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread