+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Searching 'within' cookies? in Technical; Does anyone know of any util or app that allows the searching of keywords within cookies/txt files? We periodically go ...
    theeldergeek

Searching 'within' cookies?

Does anyone know of any util or app that allows the searching of keywords within cookies/txt files?

We periodically go through student users cookies to uncover proxy by-pass sites, but as so many of these sites are 'cleverly' named, it is a huge job to discover anything.

I wondered if there was anything that scanned the contents of a file for keywords? Most of the cookies will contain words like Bebo or Facebook etc that the proxy sites have planted in the cookie, and it would be great to search for these keywords!

Any chance anyone?

kerrymoralee9280
    Grep??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    My Computer > Search > All files and folders > A word or phrase in the file

You may also want to enabled Search hidden files and folders through Advanced Options

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use Baregrep for things like this. There's a free version and it's (a) fast and (b) works (unlike the built in Windows search which will cheerfully ignore many file types and never complete the job of searching a big folder!)

Thank Post
    Agent Ransack

this is a pretty smart program - used here for similar

Agent Ransack - home
    Last edited by fooby; 28th March 2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added url

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Does anyone know of any util or app that allows the searching of keywords within cookies/txt files?

We periodically go through student users cookies to uncover proxy by-pass sites, but as so many of these sites are 'cleverly' named, it is a huge job to discover anything.

I wondered if there was anything that scanned the contents of a file for keywords? Most of the cookies will contain words like Bebo or Facebook etc that the proxy sites have planted in the cookie, and it would be great to search for these keywords!

Any chance anyone?
    Ah, I should have added that these cookies are on the server, in the students profile folders, folders which we do not have ownership of.

Ordinarily, and up till now, if we wanted to explore the contents of these folders, we'd have to take ownership as administrator, and then do a search.

However, with 1000 kids on roll, I'd rather not take ownership of 1000 folders, and wondered if there now is a way to find keywords within cookie files within these folders to which Windows will ordinarily deny me access?

I bet there ain't !

Thank Post
    Rather than taking ownership why not add your administrator account with access to the top level directory??

Thank Post
    Could it run on login? spread the load, then report back to a central location, where you read the logs at your leisure?

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Could it run on login? spread the load, then report back to a central location, where you read the logs at your leisure?
    eh? Could what run at login? A search?

Thank Post
    yeah, in your login scripts you could execute your grep command as the student UID.

something like grep -r STRING c:\cookies\* >> \\server1\coolshare\cookies.txt

EDIT: > != >>

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Jona View Post
    Rather than taking ownership why not add your administrator account with access to the top level directory??
    Can you run how to do this by me?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread