+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, 4GB USB Pens in Technical; We've got some 8Gb sticks from either Dabs or Hills Components. they work fine but it does seem possible to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've got some 8Gb sticks from either Dabs or Hills Components. they work fine but it does seem possible to mess up the partition table so that you get a single 2Gb partition.

In the end, I've used Linux to wipe the partitions and start again - could also probably have used a Gparted Live CD to do the job.

Thank Post
    DAMN - Wish I'd read this thread BEFORE ordering my 3x 8GB SD cards... from Hong Kong.

They said around 5 business days but it's been longer so far - thankfully I don't NEED them urgently, but would be nice to have.

Az

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    DAMN - Wish I'd read this thread BEFORE ordering my 3x 8GB SD cards... from Hong Kong.

They said around 5 business days but it's been longer so far - thankfully I don't NEED them urgently, but would be nice to have.

Az
    Best to test them straight away. If it was through Ebay / Paypal, you'll probably still be covered if fast enough.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flashsnaps View Post
    Just a follow up on this,
    I purchased 3X 8GB mem sticks from Hong kong via eBay.............Idiot!

Not only did they take nearly a month to arrive, they were about half of the so claimed 8gb, you have to actually put 5-6gb of data on it to find this out, as they appear to have 7-8gb worth of space when actually it was half that.
    And I am also certain they are the old 1.1usb standard as they take so looooooooooooong to transfer to and from!
    If it's a 4GB stick tricked into looking like an 8GB, it's unlikely it'll be USB1.1.

Far more likely is just shoddy memory. When the big memory providers create flash memory, it varies in speed anyway. They test the memory, and put the slower / less reliable into the "B Grade" bucket, while the good stuff is sold as "A Grade".

Most reputable firms will use A Grade, but there are always cowboys out there. The cheaper the stick is, the more likely it'll be B Grade.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Still got my first USB stick... 25 quid for 64MB those were the days
    £29.99 for a 32MB drive from Maplin (and that was special introductory offer)! Although, can't quite recall how long ago it was, but I am thinking late 2003/early 2004.

I wouldn't necessarily condemn flash drives bought from Asia, providing the reseller is a trusted source. By that I mean, we have just bought a large batch to sell to students, and the manufacturing country is China, although the failure rate has been low (in comparison to how many we have).

PC World have a good offer on as well - 2x 4GB PNY drives for £20 (for both)! PNY all the way for me - never let me down.

Thank Post
    I have an 8GB OCZ Rally2 memory stick, never had any problems with it!

I still have my 1GB memory stick which I bought for £100 when they first came out! Its been through the wash/dryer more times then I can remember but it still keeps on going.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Still got my first USB stick... 25 quid for 64MB those were the days
    Same here although I think I may have paid more for mine.

I still use it now as it has a switch on the side which lets me use it as a floppy disk when the odd occasion requires one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I still had my 1GB Samsung until recently where I managed to snap it. Oh well, I treated myself to a 16GB OCZ for £48

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMason View Post
    Best to test them straight away. If it was through Ebay / Paypal, you'll probably still be covered if fast enough.
    The wonderful world of irony...
    I get my flash memory cards last night - all 3 work, they say 8GB and are 8GB (well 7.98) but that's all good.

My card reader however (bought from EBay) for a couple of quid, is totally useless - it failed to work in 4 XP PCs and 1 Vista. It failed in as much as 'Windows doesn't recognise this device...'. The reseller says no drivers are needed, so I'm working on the basis that the reader itself is duff - so I've e-mailed the reseller and am waiting to hear back.

For now I got a reader that works with my cards and can keep it until I get myself a new one or get a replacement... I won't lose sleep over it tho, it's a couple of quid but that doesn't mean I won't keep poking until I get an answer.

Az

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    The wonderful world of irony...
    I get my flash memory cards last night - all 3 work, they say 8GB and are 8GB (well 7.98) but that's all good.

My card reader however (bought from EBay) for a couple of quid, is totally useless - it failed to work in 4 XP PCs and 1 Vista. It failed in as much as 'Windows doesn't recognise this device...'. The reseller says no drivers are needed, so I'm working on the basis that the reader itself is duff - so I've e-mailed the reseller and am waiting to hear back.

For now I got a reader that works with my cards and can keep it until I get myself a new one or get a replacement... I won't lose sleep over it tho, it's a couple of quid but that doesn't mean I won't keep poking until I get an answer.

Az

Glad to hear they worked well. You did either format them or fill them with data then delete it to make sure 8GB is 8GB right?

And of course, all these products are made in the far east. It's not that "chinese goods = bad" or "only usb pens fromt he region are bad" or anything. It's just when you go for a good supplier, they will vet the factories, as some factories are bad. The more quality assurance your supplier does, the less chance of you ever ending up with bad stuff rather than some of the very high quality goods that also get produced in the region, often a few doors down.

My boss spent some time in China studying, and has told us horror stories of "USB Stick Factories" that were actually sheds in people's garden being used to put together poor quality, often deceptive sticks. I think these may be the sticks some of you guys got hold of.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12