+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Free folder mirroring software? in Technical; Hi, Does anyone know of any free software that will silently and automatically mirror the contents of a folder on ...
    Thank Post

Free folder mirroring software?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any free software that will silently and automatically mirror the contents of a folder on one machine to a folder on another, preferably in real time (or near real time)?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows built in offline files option may be what you are looking for if the machines are connected via a network. Just share out the folder on one machine and set up the other computer to use offline files (right click on the folder and click "make avalible offline") Whenever the two computers can see each other they can synchronize the contents of the folders.

You can change the offline folders setting to sync periodically or on logon and log off. If the system is online and can see the 'server computer' (can be XP) it will just work on the shared copy then sync when you log off or tell it to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    An alternative (within the same workstation/server) would be to configure software RAID 1.

With two physical hard disks installed, the same information is copied to both drives offering some redundancy in the event one of the drives fail.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Another solution could be to create a batch file with the xcopy command. You could schedule this to run every 10 minutes (for example) using Scheduled Tasks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLudwig View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any free software that will silently and automatically mirror the contents of a folder on one machine to a folder on another, preferably in real time (or near real time)?

Thanks.
    I've used Microsoft's Robocopy utility before - not sure if it'll run completely silently, but it's a command-line utility, so there's probably ways to shut it up.

It's short for 'Robust file Copy', and has a huge number of options to do with mirroring, the intervals at which it carries out the checks, exclusions, copying of NTFS permissions etc.

It's a free utility, downloadable as part of lots of the Resource Kits. Wikipedia has a good page on it, and the download page on MS is here.

Stephen

6. Thanks to SteveMC from:

MrLudwig (24th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLudwig View Post
    Hi,

Thanks.

What OS? Where are the machines?

If it's Windows Server 2000 or 2003 then you can use DFS; if it's 2003 R2 or 2008 then you can use DFSR which is much better and gives pretty much near real-time replication.

"where" the machines are matters because DFS has a replication schedule - by default I think it's every 15 minutes for machines which are not on the same subnet (or, strictly, site) but it's pretty much instant for machines on the same site (as defined in your AD sites)

Thank Post
    I would suggest taking a look at AllwaySync. I've used it in the past for folder syncronisation and it works really well. I just can't remember if it can be scheduled/automatic.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm really after something that will update the folder contents almost instantly, rather than on a schedule. Something similar to Instant Replicator from Exare (http://www.exare.com/content/view/12/34/), but for free.

Robocopy comes close (with the /MIR /MON:1 /MOT:1 /E switches), but it seems to rescan the whole folder tree every time a change is detected, no matter how small that change is. This can take quite a while on large folders, which is not really ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    What OS? Where are the machines?
    Primarily it will be between an XP desktop machine and a 2K3 server, but I would also like to be able to sync folders between the XP desktop and an XP laptop as well.

Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I would suggest taking a look at AllwaySync.
    I've used this in the past, but as far as I can remember, it doesn't sync in near real time, but rather at logon/logoff.
    Last edited by MrLudwig; 24th March 2008 at 07:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok, just downloaded Allwaysync to take a look again. It does have have a feature to watch for changes and replicate them, although it does insist on a delay of a minute from the last change before replicating. Not sure if that is of any use to you...

11. Thanks to RobC from:

MrLudwig (24th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Ok, just downloaded Allwaysync to take a look again. It does have have a feature to watch for changes and replicate them, although it does insist on a delay of a minute from the last change before replicating. Not sure if that is of any use to you...
    Thanks RobC, I may have to take another look at Allwaysync.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts

Thank Post
    I use "Foldersynch", it can be run from a script and updates when new files are added to the source.

15. Thanks to Polski from:

MrLudwig (2nd March 2009)

Thank Post
    HI

Have a look at this Configuring and Using DFS Replication

Richard

17. Thanks to ricki from:

MrLudwig (2nd March 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread