+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Enforce Google SafeSearch in Technical; Our network administrator said she opened a ticket with Websense and they said it would only do Moderate Safe Search, ...

Thank Post
    Our network administrator said she opened a ticket with Websense and they said it would only do Moderate Safe Search, not Strict...........so I'm not sure.

Thank Post
    Well, if you are looking for a filter that *can* - do feel free to drop me a line.
    Only other choice is see if you can put your own URL mangling rules into websense - I don't know if you can.

Thank Post
    Right guys and girls, I might have an answer to this!

I've spent sooooo much time trying to work out how to do this with just an ISA server (2006) and I think I've finally cracked it - in a messy but seemingly effective kind of way.

I have set up a Firewall Policy in ISA 2006 denying HTTP and HTTPS from 'All Protected Networks' to a URL Set I've made called 'Banned Sites' and applied it to 'All Users'. I've put it higher in the firewall list than the main web rule, obviously so it kicks in before it.

In my 'Banned Sites' URL Set I have:

http://www.google.co.uk/preferences*
    http://www.google.co.uk/setprefs*
    http://images.google.co.uk/preferences*
    http://images.google.co.uk/setprefs*

The preference ones stop them from clicking 'Search Settings' and changing the Safe Search settings from that page, the setprefs one stops them using the dropdown on the image search to do a kind of inline update of the filter setting. Now granted, there's probably a number more url's I'm going to need to include in that set, but it seems to work!

I've spent ages trying to get a solution for this and this seems as near as damn it, so I had to share it. I hope it's of some use to other people!

Shuriken1.

ps. I'm thinking that a quick insertion of the correct cookie into the student mandatory profile could also make it default to Strict rather than Modrate too but from what I've understood, Strict just enforces the filter on the web searches as well as the images whereas moderate just filters the images. We shall see.
    Last edited by Shuriken1; 15th April 2010 at 03:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci914 View Post
    Our network administrator said she opened a ticket with Websense and they said it would only do Moderate Safe Search, not Strict...........so I'm not sure.
    I have Websense v7, it enforces strict for the websites I previously stated. Not going to comment any further on this thread.

As for Shuriken1s tip, they can still manually modify the URL to change the results if they are smart. We use ISA 2006 and although there are solid preventative measures you can take with it, I could see them being bypassed by the more devious students.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post
    I have Websense v7, it enforces strict for the websites I previously stated. Not going to comment any further on this thread.

As for Shuriken1s tip, they can still manually modify the URL to change the results if they are smart. We use ISA 2006 and although there are solid preventative measures you can take with it, I could see them being bypassed by the more devious students.
    Ah yeah, fair point. I've somehow managed to disable it though, even by editing the url it's defaulting back to Strict. Safe Search isn't locked either so I don't know how I've managed that but I agree, I would expect it to be editable via the URL. Forgot that.

Edit: Sorry, ignore that, Impero is enforcing the Safesearch. It would seem that Impero combined with my ISA rule will stop them changing it too, so may still be of some use to people.

Shuriken1.
    Last edited by Shuriken1; 15th April 2010 at 03:58 PM.

Thank Post
    We have just been advised to block google images until this has been resolved - or until they have found another way around it. (Give 'em 5 minutes!)

Thank Post
    Sorry to dig this thred up but I never found the exact answer here, so here it is.

Typing the following url will set the strict filtering on. It can be overridden but it's the default and invisible to all but the hackiest kids. if they hit that link again it'll reenable the strict filtering.

"http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?safe=vss"

just put it as the home page in pupil gpo, voila!

Thank Post
    Doesn't seem to here. As a student if I visit that link and then check the settings it has moderate set. If I change moderate to something else and then revisit that page, the same setting is kept, not changed to strict.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Doesn't seem to here. As a student if I visit that link and then check the settings it has moderate set. If I change moderate to something else and then revisit that page, the same setting is kept, not changed to strict.
    Yes the "http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?safe=vss" offers the same functionallity of the strict filtering but it doesn't set the flag in the advanced features. Do a test search with strict filtering then do a search using moderate and the safe=vss. you should get the same result.

EDIT...

Damn, it seems that google have changed the strict,moderate,etc filtering and this link doesn't do anything anymore...
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 21st March 2011 at 01:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I'm looking to enforce safe search as the default settings for our students, and having no joy down the mandatory profile route as it only works for the profile it was made from. I have blocked students from searching in an unfiltered way, but as the default is unsafe image searches, they are going to face the block page everytime they login and conduct a search.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The only way that i have found that works is using our smoothwall. Everything else just fails, and this is something that school deems "failure is not an option". I can recommend smooth wall.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Smoothwall is a little expensive to crack this.

If anyone could let me know how to force safe search via a Mandatory profile, that would be most appreciated.

Otherwise, is there software out there which can enforce safe search? Obviously parental control software will do this, but they tend to work on single or family licences, so educational software would be preferred.

My students would be eternally grateful as I'm forcing them to use dogpile at present, and they're not enjoying it too much despite the fact it's just a re-skinned Google...

Thank Post
    Could you not configure your dns so that google.com .co.uk etc points to nosslsearch.google.com . There is a specific ip address but unsure what it is.

Thank Post
    the nosslsearch.google.com is 216.239.32.20 . Although I am having some problems with that on my DNS servers.

EDIT:

Just remembered I found this the other day,

Safe Search Advice for Schools from Google
    Last edited by teklogic; 7th October 2013 at 08:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We already have the DNS redirection to the nosslsearch.google.com in place, though that doesn't stop students turning off safe search. Instead, we block all Google searches that don't have Filter Explicit content ticked, but as we use mandatory profiles, this means students have to tick the box everytime if they want to use Google, thus Dogpile.

I've got a few things I want to try tomorrow, first of all is properly exporting cookies and importing them into a profile and seeing if that sticks.

Secondary plan is to try INSTANT, SIMPLE, UNIVERSAL SAFE SEARCH ACTIVATION & LOCKING for Google, YouTube, Bing, Yahoo & more! and, depending on cost, roll that out across the network.

More than open to other ideas...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast