+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Windows Thread, Enforce Google SafeSearch in Technical; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 When you say no roaming profiles... what do you use? Mandatory? Since this thread was created, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    When you say no roaming profiles... what do you use?

Mandatory?

Since this thread was created, we now lock strict safe search usuing a google account within the mandatory profile. It cannot then be changed.

Just regular local profiles. Each time they log in they get their own local profile which is a copy of the Default User profile.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci914 View Post
    We are also utilizing Websense for our web filtering.
    If you are running Websense click on Settings -> Filtering and put a tick in the "Enable search filtering" box. As it says on the page this enforces safe searching on Yahoo!, Lycos, Ask, Bing and Google.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post
    If you are running Websense click on Settings -> Filtering and put a tick in the "Enable search filtering" box. As it says on the page this enforces safe searching on Yahoo!, Lycos, Ask, Bing and Google.
    I would think that we would already be doing that but I'll pass that information along and verify. Thanks!

So that just enforces the Safe Search variations of each of those sites? Is there any way to bypass that then?

Thank Post
    Not that I have found, tried a few "tricks" but the results we're always strictly safe.

Thank Post
    Generally, it is impossible (or very very difficult) to bypass these safesearch checks. I can think of a few ways you might trick the way we do it by obfuscating your URL so it doesn't get rewritten, but most of these tricks would get you blocked for being a tit in any case.

Some search engines (bing) I can give you more assurance - their images are all served from explicit.bing.com if thay are not safe, so that's nailed on. Some (eg youtube) are less difficult to bypass because of limitations at their end.

In general though it is not something I would worry about too much - hard to bypass, and the profit is generally low

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post
    Our network administrator just informed me that enable that only does 'Moderate Filtering,' it doesn't enable the strict safe search. Any other way to do this with Websense?

Thank Post
    So is there a way to enforce strict search with Websense then?

Thank Post
    Can you get websense to do arbitrary URL manipulations? If so, you could do it that way.

Moderate *may* be enough for you, I am having difficulty remembering, given that it's sunday morning, and I have reluctantly crawled from my pit after a mate's 30th birthday, and reaffirmed that i can't do hangovers any more.... but i think the difference between strict and moderate isnt all that big. I'll ask around when I get into the office Tuesday, see if i can rustle up some more coherent advice

Thank Post
    I am pretty sure it enforces strict, I will check next time I am at work.

Our previous content filter enforced moderate and this was fine, blocking anything dodgy.

Thank Post
    Thanks for checking on it, everyone.

Our network administrator says that it only enforces Moderate and that things still show up that the students shouldn't see. If strict could be enforced that'd be great, as the cookie method isn't very foolproof and what is preventing a student from searching on Bing or Yahoo?

Thank Post
    Sorry, got hauled off to a meeting in sunny scunny - moderate and strict can both be enforced with the same method.. why is websense playing silly devils?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Sorry, got hauled off to a meeting in sunny scunny - moderate and strict can both be enforced with the same method.. why is websense playing silly devils?
    How does one choose strict over moderate then using that method? The Websense instructions seem to show just one options - on or off.

Thank Post
    I have just checked at work, Websense forces the user to use strict for Google Images.

Thank Post
    I'm using the Barracuda Web Filter 310 here at the high school I'm at. Works great, has strict safe search as an on/off option out of the box and has always worked. I'd be surprised if Websense of all companies didn't have that built in. Is it something you can ask a Websense support representative about?

Thank Post
    @link - yeah, it would seem pretty basic, as functionality goes, but websense is very "corporate" and may not be so geared to education. Sure they must have it though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast