+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Removing Roaming Profiles in Technical; Hi, I'm just wondering what the best approach and issues there might be for removing roaming profiles. A number of ...

Thank Post

Removing Roaming Profiles

Hi,

I'm just wondering what the best approach and issues there might be for removing roaming profiles.

A number of staff here have roaming profiles and its getting a little annoying with certain scripts I've used, having to work out exclusions for these "special" people... its also a bit sluggish logging them on.

What's the best way to remove this? just delete the profile path from AD?

Will this take the profile with it?

What happens on the computer(s) they've logged onto previously, do they get a new profile? or do they use a cached version of the roaming profile? does it update their server-sided profile?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a job for delprof! Searchy forum!

Thank Post
    Except when they log on, they'll have that same roaming profile that I don't want.

I don't want anyone having a Roaming Profile, except students who share the same Roaming Mandatory Profile.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Delprof

There are two issues here.

I have a Mandatory Roaming Profile for all of my users except laptop users, these are 'local'.

I think that your going to have to do the following:

Script the Delprof tool to delete the existing profiles. This will need to run on logout for eveyone. This will also delete new 'local' profiles that are created when one of your 'special' users logs on.

Remove the profile location in AD U&C's

The next time a user logs on via the network, a local profile will be built for that user, and GPO's etc applied. The GPO's settings will be cached in the now local profile, but the profile will be deleted on logout.

If your using take-home laptops, ensure that the delprof script does not run on these, otherwise staff may have higher access privaledges than you wish.

Ben

'Most computer errors are created between the seat and the mouse'

5. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

Lithium (15th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Do I get to keep the profile in the specified location, after removing from ADUC...

So if I need to restore something (which I probably will), I have the profile available still, but only on-demand and via the UNC path?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    You need to think through the implications of doing this:
    Your users (teachers presumably) will have set up their desktops and got Office to start how they like it with toolbars and page boundaries. They have probably customised their Favorites in IE... then there's Outlook. I'm sure you can think of a few more things that are stored in their profiles

Just removing the roaming profile from their logon in AD will remove their roaming profiles; but it's a good way of making a lot of trouble too!

On the plus side, they'll logon quicker and their over-full recycling bins and cookies folders won't be clogging up the server.

8. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Lithium (15th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Delprof will only delete the locally cached versions of the profile on a machine.

As far as removing the profile path from ADUC, I've had to do it on several occasions when staff aquire a laptop and move from my Mandatory roaming profile - the original is left intact.

I find that sometimes having some local profiles does increase my workload a little, as local profiles are built from the default user profile on the local machine it's quite hard to forcefully edit them once built, but gpo's are still updated, so it's not a huge problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They have probably customised their Favorites in IE... then there's Outlook. I'm sure you can think of a few more things that are stored in their profiles

You can redirect favourites to the server and use the dreaded offline files to keep them current.

I must say, I don't have users with outlook, so I can't tell you about the implications with that!

Thank Post
    I'm not too bothered about favourites... Its not going to be an instantaneous thing, I somewhat planned that it'll be really bad if I just decide it's sortable, then delete it from everyone... (I can always link it back... I guess)

Outlook isn't a problem for me - so long as people aren't so lazy that they can type in peoples names again so it populates the auto-fill address thingy...

All their emails should be setup to remain on Exchange, and when I dot around to sort it all, I can hook up the latpots with RPC over HTTP too.

The only major thing is documents/Pictures.

Everyone seems to be really happy risking their important documents, but then gets very stressy and I've been called unhelpful by one person because their HDD was badly damaged.... by a flight of concrete stairs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Believe me everyone gets stressy when they have to start setting things up again that were working. I had to delete my own roaming profile when it got corrupted and it took ages to get things back to how I wanted it!

My Documents (mapped home drive) shouldn't be affected by this change - it shouldn't be in the profile.

I assume that when you look at the Home folder part of the User Account Properties you've mapped U:, H: or somesuch to \\servername\sharedprofilefolder$\%username%
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 14th March 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Roaming profiles are extremely useful, irrelevant whether it's mandatory or not as user settings roam with the user. Presumably teachers at your school move from PC to PC, so how are you going to keep consistency?

Personally, I would reallocate roaming profiles with a new profile. You can also use GPOs to control the maximum size of profiles too.

If you do wish to continue and demote users from using a roaming profile, then you should delete the Profile Path in AD for each user:

Code:
    \\Servername\Profiles$\Username
    Their My Documents and other network drives will still be mapped without causing problems as a logon script should be taking care of this.

You need to be careful using delprof as it will delete local profiles as well as roaming profiles. Here are the switches you can use:

Code:
    Microsoft(R) Windows (R) 2000 Operating System User Profile Deletion Utility v5.
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-1999

This utility deletes Windows NT and Windows 2000 user profiles.

usage:  DELPROF [/Q] [/I] [/P] [/C:\\<computername>] [/D:<days>]

/Q      Quiet, no confirmation.
            /I      Ignore errors and continue deleting.
            /P      Prompts for confirmation before deleting each profile.
            /C      Remote computer name.
            /D      Number of days of inactivity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread