+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Group Policy Installation Files Not Found in Technical; Interesting bug I have encountered. I have been trying to get Group Policy to work and do an assigned installation ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Group Policy Installation Files Not Found

Interesting bug I have encountered. I have been trying to get Group Policy to work and do an assigned installation to the computers that connect to the network domain. I've been stumped as it hasn't worked once and never done it before, though I followed instructions from Microsoft, guides here, everywhere, nothing works! I'm using MS Office 2007 and MS Works Compatibility Packs to test this out as we need them across the whole school anyway.

I brought up the Classlink 7 Default Domain Policy (since the Viglen interface won't let me edit GP Settings for computers as the page dies) using the Microsoft Management Console and put a new Software Installation in Computer Configuration -> Software Settings -> Software Installation. The files are held in \\servername\d$\blahblah\GPolicy and this is shared to allow Admins and Techs full control and Students and Teachers read access. The packages are accessed using \\servercluster\GPolicy and use Assigned to propagate the packages to computers.

Looking at Event Viewer on a laptop logged into a user account that I use for Library Supervision (giving me plenty of time to pore over these technical mess ups), it comes up with suppressed errors that are shown only in the Event Log.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Management
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 102
    Date: 14/03/2008
    Time: 09:25:32
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: *****
    Description:
    The install of application Microsoft Works 6-9 Converter from policy ClassLink 7 Default Domain Policy failed. The error was : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Anyone have any idea whats up? I have given read access and you can see the folder with the installations when logged in but no luck. Doesn't even work on tech accounts that see everthing with full admin rights. It is recieving the Policy updates but isn't able to find the MSI files.

Thank Post
    Im going to state the obvious,

if you have created a software installation policy that points to a valid share on the network containing the MSI you expect to install...

Have you included Domain Computers in the security tab?

Authenticated Users is the default setting when creating new policies but most software is installed on a per macine basis and therefore that group is not valid for software installations.

Thank Post
    Is the source on a share of a member server not a DC? We really, *really* struggled with this last summer when we built a new fileserver and moved all the software packages to it, ended up moving them back because no amount of cajoling, pleading and configuring would make it deploy from somewhere else.

So anything you come up with, grateful for some pointers.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 15th March 2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Tangled fingers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    The files are held in \\servername\d$\blahblah\GPolicy and this is shared to allow Admins and Techs full control and Students and Teachers read access. The packages are accessed using \\servercluster\GPolicy and use Assigned to propagate the packages to computers.
    Anyone have any idea whats up? I have given read access and you can see the folder with the installations when logged in but no luck. Doesn't even work on tech accounts that see everthing with full admin rights. It is recieving the Policy updates but isn't able to find the MSI files.
    If you've assigned the packages to the computer, and only allowed teachers, student and techs read access to the package share, you will need to give the computer accounts access to the share. For example, create a group, add the computers accounts to it, then give the group read access to the share. (I'm referring to the share/NTFS permissions on the share where the MSI packages are located, not the GPO security permissions as this has been mentioned above).
    Last edited by meastaugh1; 17th March 2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Clarity

Thank Post
    http://home.fnal.gov/~jklemenc/dl/AD...or-Dummies.doc

How I learnt

Authenticated Users includes Domain Computers - otherwise Computer GPO's wouldn't apply...? (And I read somewhere in TechNet Resources that it does)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    @CAM - The one thing I notice is you're applying these policies to the Default Domain Policy which I wouldn't recommend.

I'm not familiar with Classlink 7, but how are your OUs organised? For example, I would recommend you have an OU called Curriculum, where all your student objects would be located, but also sub OUs called Lower School and Upper School etc... where you'd place your computer objects.
    By applying policies under Computer Configuration on the Curriculum OU; this should be inherited by the sub OUs (unless you've blocked policy inheritance). This is where the GPMC can help a lot if required.

As for the directory where MSI files are located, as long as the permissions are correct and you're using a UNC path, it shouldn't make any difference (theoretically).

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea how Viglen organises this stuff. Originally I tried using a policy on it's own but it didn't work so I assumed the one Viglen put in overrides it. So using the Policy window in Domain Properties, I edited the Policy called Classlink 7 Default Domain Policy to include software installs. There is nothing else there apart from one called Default Domain Policy (minus the classlink bit) and not touched that one.

On the Security Tab for the GPO, I have Domain Computers set to Read and on the share they are located, in the Security tab I added Domain Computers to allow Read and Execute, Read and List Contents.

I have just found another security tab though that I am going to try. On the sharing tab it says Permissions and that doesn't have Domain Computers...interesting. Will report back if that works. It's also a shared folder within a shared folder, would that have an impact?

@PowdarrMonkey: not sure what you mean by DC? It's located on a disk inside our main server, and the cluster consists of two servers, one of which takes over if the first fails.

Thank Post
    DC: domain controller. Our software store was traditionally on a controller, because we were short of machines, but when we moved it off to a member server everything stopped working.

Thank Post
    So how are your users managed? It does sound like Active Directory is running, but you use something else to administer users? Sounds familiar to how RM and Ranger do things.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use the Viglen Classlink Interface, though all the users are listed in AD anyway and can change passwords and lock them out from there (never had to try anything else though from AD).

I just tried that permissions tab and it didn't work.

I have this horrible feeling Viglen software is interfering but can't prove it or get support off them as they "don't cover that sort of stuff"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Dump classlink, it's a pile of junk.

Thank Post
    The Viglen interface/tool does sound like it's causing a problem. This is the main, fundamental problem with these third party solutions. Ironically RM, Ranger and Viglen (by the sounds of things) all run on top of Active Directory, so why not use that in the first place?

If Viglen cannot offer you any alternative, then some big decisions need to be made whether you genuinely need it at all.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wish I could dump it, but higher ups want to keep it for now. Plus I'm still learning things I wish they taught on the degree I did! :P I do really really dislike not knowing whats going on in the network though but I guess I'll learn over time. Less then a years experience in a live environment

I just tried accessing the share as the NTAuthority\System user using the command line and it came up access denied. Definately can't find the share, but not sure why. Both Domain Computers and Authenticated Users are set to allow read access on the share. Using \\servername\drive$\share instead of \\servercluster\share also says access denied.

Does anyone have an example description of permissions I can see?

Thank Post
    Have you applied permissions on both the Sharing and Security tabs?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I tried that earlier and it didn't work.

Not that it matters as I've been told stop playing with the server incase Viglen Picky Tech Support get in a huff if I crash it and have to call them and get charged. Boooo

I await the creation of a test rig network meanwhile

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast