+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Group Policy Installation Files Not Found in Technical; I think I know what your issue is. Your UNC path is using the \server\drive$ share. This is an automated ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I know what your issue is. Your UNC path is using the \\server\drive$ share. This is an automated share that is only avalible to administrators and it isn't good practice to deploy from it.

You should create your own distribution share, I usually use dist$ with shareing permitions that allow everyone read and ntfs permitions that allow domain computers etc.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just sneakily tried that and it worked! I can use an NTAuthority Comamnd Line to see the files, thanks! Though it won't work for the Office 2007 Compatability Pack though, because it has multiple files in it's folder? Works has just one MSI.

Thank Post
    Well spotted Synack....
    As usual back to the most basic of basics eh!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Though it won't work for the Office 2007 Compatability Pack though, because it has multiple files in it's folder? Works has just one MSI.
    Not sure that I understand this one, once you have your \\server\dist$ setup you just add in the whole folders of the stuff that you want to install via AD. Ours has stuff like Office2k3 and Frontpage2k3 in it. They are all multiple file installs but you just need to point AD at the right MSI and it should go.

When you do an administrative install of something like office is will ask you where to put it, just need to specify a subfolder of your dist$ share and your sorted. Just make sure that all of the NTFS permitions are set to allow the appropriate groups ie Domain computers and all should be well.

If I remember correctly after extracting the compatibility pack you just put the folder in your dist$ share and set AD onto the MSI.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Well spotted Synack....
    As usual back to the most basic of basics eh!
    Yeap, its always the little things. The big things you are less sure about and so check more throughly. Its the little things that slide by and eat unsuspecting afternoons without warning, and of course dish out rather large helpings of irritation once they have been tracked down.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK, each MSI installation has it's own folder in the share used for deploying these packages and NTAuthority can read the contents of the folders. The Works Pack appeared to deploy successfully last night and Event Viewer says success and the computer next to me now has Works 6-9 option in the Open File Box (hurrah!). But on the test machine I was using where a manual install of the Office 2007 Compatability Pack was deliberately kept off it, it has confimred NT Authority Access to the folder for the 2007 pack but Event Viewer was saying the Works one installed OK but the Installation Source still can't be found for the Office 2007 one.

Just to clarify folder contents;

O12Conv.msi
    eula.txt
    O12Conv.cab
    readme.htm
    Catalog\files12.cat

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps the NTFS permissions did not apply to the individual files, only the top level folder. You can go to the properties of your shared dist$ folder and apply the settings to all sub folders and files, just set up the permissions that you want (domain computers etc.) for all of the sub folders and then use the advanced option under the security tab

Just check that the permissions are as they should be and check the "Replace permission entries on child objects" check box.

When you click ok it will make sure that all of the sub folders and files have the correct settings to be accessed (by the way I stuffed up the demo image above, it is supposed to be domain computers, oops ).

Hopefully this should solve the issues, if you have multiple domain controllers it may be an idea to add the 'everyone' group to read security as when a new computer is added to the domain it can take 10 - 15 minutes to show up in the domain computers group. This can prevent stations from getting the required software if they have just been added.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SYNACK; 19th March 2008 at 01:33 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No luck. I may try putting it into it's own Software Installation GPO and see what that does.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12