+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Roaming Profiles and folder Exclusion in Technical; Hello Everyone Just a quick question here apologies if this topic has been covered previously! I have done some reading ...
    Thank Post

Roaming Profiles and folder Exclusion

Hello Everyone

Just a quick question here apologies if this topic has been covered previously!

I have done some reading about excluding particular directories within students roaming profiles however I would like to exclude just one particular file and was unsure if this was possible?

We need the users to be able to set a desktop background for our ECDL course so i cant remove that option via GPO but this means students are setting backgrounds everywhere. I have noticed that it saves the picture in application data called "Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp" so would GPO except this as a acceptable path

"Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp"

Or if i just told it not to replicate the internet Explorer folder would this cause any problems?

Any help would be appreciated

regards

G

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I understand what you mean, however unfortunately you can only exclude directories using a GPO.

User Config > Admin Templates > System > User Profiles

Exclude directories in roaming profile

Lets you add to the list of folders excluded from the user's roaming profile.

This setting lets you exclude folders that are normally included in the user's profile. As a result, these folders do not need to be stored by the network server on which the profile resides and do not follow users to other computers.

By default, the History, Local Settings, Temp, and Temporary Internet Files folders are excluded from the user's roaming profile.

If you enable this setting, you can exclude additional folders.

If you disable this setting or do not configure it, only the default folders are excluded.

Note: You cannot use this setting to include the default folders in a roaming user profile.
    You could create a seperate OU and a single user which allows pupils to set a desktop wallpaper. By making the profile Mandatory, (renaming NTUSER.DAT to .MAN) should reset the wallpaper to what the default is supposed to be, when they logoff.

An alternative could be using BGInfo, but I not 100% sure whether this'll overwrite their wallpaper when they next logon (which is what you want).

3. Thanks to Michael from:

placky (19th March 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread