+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Roaming Profiles in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Question Roaming Profiles

Hi we currently use roaming profiles at our school. We have the desktop and my documents folders redirected with Ranger software. I have a problem with slow logins. I think this is down to application data that was 56mb, due to java in the userís application data. If I use mandatory profiles the users will encounter problems when login into different machines with software on them. Please can anybody give me any advice?

Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    If each user has their own profile and you have a whole class logging on at once, this will inevitably be slow.

I personally use Mandatory profiles for pupils, but allocate teachers their own profile. I'm not that familiar with Ranger, but in theory, you should be able to locate which directory it stores profiles.

Once you've established where it stores profiles, you could create your own. I answered another similar question here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Another alternative is to use folder redirection for the appdata folder - this will leave the data on a server rather than dragging it backwards and forwards. We've been using this with staff and it seems to work well.

The downside of redirecting appdata for students is that you get a lot of server-side copies of this (potentially very large) folder which increases backup time etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek View Post
    Hi we currently use roaming profiles at our school. We have the desktop and my documents folders redirected with Ranger software. I have a problem with slow logins. I think this is down to application data that was 56mb, due to java in the userís application data. If I use mandatory profiles the users will encounter problems when login into different machines with software on them. Please can anybody give me any advice?

Regards
    That's interesting, is that a really a problem with mandatory profiles when you log onto machines with differing installed applications ?

We use man profiles but tbh the users don't log onto different machines with different software so we've no experience of that. I can't understand why that would preclude the use of mandatory profiles. And what problems if any are presented. Could you explain ?

Thank Post
    I think he means that different rooms have a different set of applications installed. Tech software in technology, IT, English ect. If you miss a piece of software used on 10 machines out of 200, it can cause problems.

You just need to make sure you have all software that is used in school as part of your mandatory profile and it should be ok.

Thank Post
    You can exclude folders from the roaming profile, I just put this in the user side GPO under System, User Profiles, Exclude directories in roaming profile "Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache", oh also make sure to exclude cookies folder as well!!!

Thank Post
    If you use a mandatory profile, can you redirect the application data to the same location via GPO so it does not have to be fetched down from the server?

Or use something like this?
    GPO under System, User Profiles, Exclude directories in roaming profile "Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache",

Or is it a different situation with a mandatory profile?

Thank Post
    A small word of caution here - we tried to redirect Application Data before but for staff (who had their own profiles) and we have never seen so many issues.

Soon as we cleared the redirection, all was well again.

However if you redirect AppData to a common folder for mandatory profiles, they can't save things in it as it should (if it's a super-mandatory at least) stop them writing anything back to it.

Keeps logins fast - at least for us it does.
    We also have different software in different suites but have never seen the problem you describe.

Thank Post
    You can configure the users to use the 'all users' start menu for each local machine. It's in the GPO.
    That's the only thing I can think of, we have used mandatory profiles for pupils for many schools, with no issues.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread