+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Limited or no connectivity. in Technical; Hi. Does anyone have any idea why 50-70% of the machines in our school starts having the "limited or no ...

Thank Post

Limited or no connectivity.

Hi.

Does anyone have any idea why 50-70% of the machines in our school starts having the "limited or no connectivity" problem?

Where i have to manually login as local admin on each one, delete the winsock services from the registary then reinstall the TCP/IP driver on each one to get it working again?
    I had to manually do over 100 computers this afternoon!

Im pleased ive found a fix, but i'd like to know why it happens.

I dont think its a virus either, as its happened to machines that are with and without virus scanners.

Thanks in advance all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did your DHCP go down? Also do all these machines have the same image?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds a bit like a little dear has created a loop back on the network perhaps - I had a similar problem recently which ground the system to a complete halt. Turned out to be that both ends of a Cat 5 cable had been inserted into a dual socket creating a loop

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Did your DHCP go down? Also do all these machines have the same image?
    DHCP was up.
    As the other 30% of the network was running fine.
    All different image, as there were 3 times of machines that had the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Sounds a bit like a little dear has created a loop back on the network perhaps - I had a similar problem recently which ground the system to a complete halt. Turned out to be that both ends of a Cat 5 cable had been inserted into a dual socket creating a loop
    Nope. Not a loopback.
    Because our switches have spanning tree on all of them, and usually on our network, everything drops off, plus, pings to the servers get very high.

Odd problem.
    I wonder if i'll ever find out whats caused it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because our switches have spanning tree on all of them
    Doesn't always work though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-Greatermanchester View Post
    Doesn't always work though.
    True, but trust me, theres no loopbacks.
    If there was, it would affect all of our network, and give us very high pings to the DC.
    But it only affected some workstations (for example, 25/30 in one of our labs), while the rest functioned correctly.
    Plus, bizzarly, if i plug my diagnostic laptop into the same cable thats being used by a broken workstation, it works fine. So i dont think its an infrastructure based problem.

Very odd, i'd like to say virus, but its hard to tell, could be anything really. Unfortunatelly. .
    I'd like to find out though.
    So any and all suggestions i'll look into.

Upto now:
    - Loopbacks: Both diagnostics & physical checking have been done. No loopbacks.
    - Viruses: Unknown, no viruses on the main servers will check the workstations when McAfee has been removed from all workstations (dont want 2 AVs on the network at the same time. ).
    Last edited by boomam; 1st March 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Sounds a bit like a little dear has created a loop back on the network perhaps - creating a loop

Please remove this post as pupils read this forum

Thank Post
    @Grommit

mm - you might want to rethink your post if your really worried about this

(but I don't think that its the worlds greatest secret )

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    If there was a loopback, I agree it would stop all the network, not just chunks/percentages of it. With HP switches (and probably other makes too), the LEDs flash red instead of green so you'd know about it!

If it's not a DHCP problem and you're positive workstations are getting an IP, then it really is a strange problem. Have you tried manually restarting all switches one by one?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If there was a loopback, I agree it would stop all the network, not just chunks/percentages of it. With HP switches (and probably other makes too), the LEDs flash red instead of green so you'd know about it!
    Didnt know that about the LEDs. Good to know that is.
    Is that only on the switch thats got the problem, or does it trace all the way back to the core switch?

If it's not a DHCP problem and you're positive workstations are getting an IP, then it really is a strange problem. Have you tried manually restarting all switches one by one?
    The workstations that have the problem have 'limited or no connectivity'. So they see the network card, see a cable plugged in, but wont get an IP.
    Plus, when you try to login in, it complains about NETLOGIN service not running.
    If i login locally, and try to enable it manually, it doesnt work, bringing up an Error 10106.
    Last edited by boomam; 1st March 2008 at 06:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Didnt know that about the LEDs. Good to know that is.
    Is that only on the switch thats got the problem, or does it trace all the way back to the core switch?
    From memory all through the network, as of course all switches are connected together, so the error would affect the whole network.

The workstations that have the problem have 'limited or no connectivity'. So they see the network card, see a cable plugged in, but wont get an IP.
    Plus, when you try to login in, it complains about NETLOGIN service not running.
    If i login locally, and try to enable it manually, it doesnt work, bringing up an Error 10106.
    The Net Logon service should be running on your Domain Controller. I'd try stopping and starting the service, then rebooting a workstation and try to logon again. The Net Logon service authenticates computers logging onto the domain. The Net Logon service should be set to Manual on a workstation, in a stopped state.

Thank Post
    From memory all through the network, as of course all switches are connected together, so the error would affect the whole network.
    Cool.
    Will keep a look out for that in future. .

The Net Logon service should be running on your Domain Controller. I'd try stopping and starting the service, then rebooting a workstation and try to logon again. The Net Logon service authenticates computers logging onto the domain. The Net Logon service should be set to Manual on a workstation, in a stopped state.
    If the service has failed on the DC though, would it not affect all workstations?
    Plus, that wouldnt stop the workstations geting an IP would it?
    As im fairly sure thats the reason for the netlogin error, that it cant connect to the network to get the netlogin info off the DC?
    Will check the DC on monday though. .

Thank Post
    If the service has failed on the DC though, would it not affect all workstations?
    Plus, that wouldnt stop the workstations geting an IP would it?
    As im fairly sure thats the reason for the netlogin error, that it cant connect to the network to get the netlogin info off the DC?
    Will check the DC on monday though.
    The problem could well be intermittent. Services can and do stop for various reasons and this may be happening to you.

Looking at the Service Dependencies, it might be the case you have two problems. No allocated IPs could be down to a problem with DHCP Server (as already mentioned) or you might have run out of addresses?

What's the uptime of your server? Have you tried to reboot completely?

Thank Post
    The problem could well be intermittent. Services can and do stop for various reasons and this may be happening to you.
    The problem persists though, even when the workstation next to a broken one is working fine. So surely that would indicate a workstation level problem rarther than a server one? As if the problem was intermittant, then a reboot half an hour later of a broken one would surely fix it?
    Maybe im being daft here, but if the problem was with an intermittant server problem, then why would the affected workstations keep on erroring on every boot, whilst working ones work fine?

Looking at the Service Dependencies, it might be the case you have two problems. No allocated IPs could be down to a problem with DHCP Server (as already mentioned) or you might have run out of addresses?
    We're using, iirc, about 30-35% of our DHCP range at the moment.

What's the uptime of your server? Have you tried to reboot completely?
    Uptime? About 2 weeks. The power for the entire school was shut off over half term.
    Since then ive had nothing but problems. Most of them have been the kids looping back on the 2-3 hubs we have. But in combination with a few other faults, the last few weeks have been murder for me.

So, for Monday, i have to check:
    - DHCP logs.
    - Netlogin logs.

I appreciate the input on this everyone.
    As I'd like to get down to the bottom of what caused the fault, for future reference, & piece of mind. .

Thank Post
    Are these xp computers does last known config, safemode with networking get you on to the network? also does a sys restore allow you to reconnect to the domain, these steps may help you qualify that its a machine issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast