+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Limited or no connectivity. in Technical; The problem persists though, even when the workstation next to a broken one is working fine. So surely that would ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The problem persists though, even when the workstation next to a broken one is working fine. So surely that would indicate a workstation level problem rarther than a server one? As if the problem was intermittant, then a reboot half an hour later of a broken one would surely fix it?
    Maybe im being daft here, but if the problem was with an intermittant server problem, then why would the affected workstations keep on erroring on every boot, whilst working ones work fine?
    I understand where you're coming from, but it's too coincidental that the same problem is happening across so many machines, which leads me to believe it's something server level, affecting some but not all clients.

Have you tried resetting a computer account in Active Directory and re-joining that problematic workstation to the domain? Might be worth a try. Are all the machines with the fault the same make/model and if so made up from the same image?

I'm interested to see what conclusions you come to as well, as it does seem unusual.

@Mike-j

Are these xp computers does last known config, safemode with networking get you on to the network? also does a sys restore allow you to reconnect to the domain, these steps may help you qualify that its a machine issue.
    The last known configuration only works if the user doesn't logon. Boomam logged on locally, so the last known configuration wouldn't make any difference. As for the other two options, they may be worth exploring, but then again I disable System Restore by GPO as it isn't needed. Re-imaging would be more preferable when managing a number of machines.

Thank Post
    A couple of other things to try. If you hang on for 30 seconds or so do the clients eventually get an address? See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168455

Also I'm not sure on MacAfee but I've seen similar issues with F-Secure. The firewall component installs a network driver to scan traffic. If this is having problems network connectivity can be hit and miss. Annoyingly removing F-Secure didn't always remove this driver correctly and I had to dig through Device Manager (Click 'View' - 'Show hidden devices' - 'Non plug and play devices') and manually remove it.

Thank Post
    I had a similar, but not exactly the same, problem with 10 or so PC's when my Host A listings somehow became corrupt. I removed the offending ones from the list, rebooted the PC's and hey presto they were added back to the list with the correct ip address.
    Don't know if you've already checked this but it might be worth a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    Plus, when you try to login in, it complains about NETLOGIN service not running.
    If i login locally, and try to enable it manually, it doesnt work, bringing up an Error 10106.
    Netlogin or Netlogon?
    Seem to recall Netlogin was a virus.......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you tried resetting a computer account in Active Directory and re-joining that problematic workstation to the domain? Might be worth a try. Are all the machines with the fault the same make/model and if so made up from the same image?
    I havnt no, as iirc, they wouldnt see the network.
    Different makes and models. Some were Dells, some were NECs, some where some RMs(we dont use RM, just some hand-me downs from a college from what i was told). They all have images unique to their HW. So one for Dell D740s, one for NECs, etc;

Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    I had a similar, but not exactly the same, problem with 10 or so PC's when my Host A listings somehow became corrupt. I removed the offending ones from the list, rebooted the PC's and hey presto they were added back to the list with the correct ip address.
    Don't know if you've already checked this but it might be worth a look.
    I havnt messed with the DNS on our DC much, but i'll give it a look.
    What am i looking out for?
    Thinking about it, i wouldnt be suprised if it was a DNS problem, as we had DNS problems a week ago when almost all net traffic for us went dead. Took a while to get working for frog (our proxying is done by our VLE).

Quote Originally Posted by _Bob_ View Post
    A couple of other things to try. If you hang on for 30 seconds or so do the clients eventually get an address? See:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168455
    That sounds familier, spanning tree is on on all of our switches, but its never caused problems in the past?

Thank Post
    So:

DNS:
    I dont think its a DNS issue anymore. Ive found a computer that still has the problem, and remove its entry from the DNS list. Still has the problem.
    There are no errors in the logs, apart from one thats a result of me enabling scaveging this morning.

DHCP:
    Cant find the logs for it, although nothing is listed in the general logs as usual for any DHCP errors.

Netlogon:
    Again, no errors.
    Apart from two authentication errors for this morning for a machines in the library.

And 5 of the machines i fixed on friday have the problem again.
    Gonna do a virus scan on the broken one ive got in here with me, see what i find.

Thank Post
    This looks more and more like a SID problem. Have you tried removing and re-adding a machine to the domain?

The reason I say this, is because you mentioned machine authentication problems. Re-adding a machine to the domain will re-create a new SID computer account. I'd be interested to see if this solves your problem.

Thank Post
    The authentication problem was with one machine, this morning, that works fine?

The test computer is still scanning for virii at the moment...

A few of the fixed ones have dropped off again according to one of the teachers. .

Thank Post
    Are the Event Logs any use?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume you've checked the event logs locally for the machines, and the DHCP and WINS logs on the DC?

I dont think its a virus either, as its happened to machines that are with and without virus scanners.
    Why do you have machines without virus protection?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Uptime? About 2 weeks. The power for the entire school was shut off over half term.
    Since then ive had nothing but problems.
    eeek just seen this!

Is that normal for you? the machines that are having problems aren't all cabled back to the same couple of switches are they?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I assume you've checked the event logs locally for the machines, and the DHCP and WINS logs on the DC?
    As said, the DHCP logs, unless im looking in the wrong place, is usually in the normal system logs, of which there are no entries. Same with WINS.
    There is the odd DCOM and NETLOGIN error in regards to certain machines, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Why do you have machines without virus protection?
    I inheritted this network over a year ago, i was under the impression that every machine had McAfee on it, but i found out a week or so ago, when i was in the process of removing McAfee, that only a few did! :-o.
    Luckily, when McAfee is completely gone, i have a newly configured install of NOD32 to blast out. .

Nothings come up in the virus scan, gonna try removing/adding to the domain.

Thank Post
    Cant re-add, errors, if i expand the error, it says TCP/IP protocol not installed?
    Which is consistant with the fix i have to apply, but doesnt tell me the cause.

Any more ideas?

Ive found a KB article that outlines the problem, including the fix i do, but not even MS know of the cause?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
    Last edited by boomam; 3rd March 2008 at 12:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    eeek just seen this!

Is that normal for you? the machines that are having problems aren't all cabled back to the same couple of switches are they?
    The power cut off?
    No, they were replacing all the power distribution boards in the school so everything went off last half term during the work.

The machines having the problems, that i know of, all go to different switches.
    Obviously, all the machines in one room go back to the same switch, but its happening all over the school.

Thank Post
    That's a good KB you've found there boomam, let's just hope after all that effort that it works!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast