+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Print management software in Technical; Check your manufacturer's website - OKI do a free tool (that only works with their printer) but can give very ...
    Thank Post
    Check your manufacturer's website - OKI do a free tool (that only works with their printer) but can give very accurate costings. It looks at % coverage of each colour, how many colours are used (so how many rollers have been used) etc...

Thank Post
    @ jamin100, how do you roll it out i can't find an msi and it won't package with WinInstall?

@ Michael, i don't remember having to add a Windows firewall exception, what did you need to add that for?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    @cookie_monster - For the PMP client you install on the workstation, to connect to the PMP database on your print server.

If the Windows Firewall is enabled (on XP), Windows will prompt you to allow the PMP client access. Of course if the Windows Firewall is disabled, it just works.

Thank Post
    Oh right i've never noticed that when i've been trying it maybe because i have the file and printer exception enabled.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Linux box does our printing here. Samba + CUPS. Pykota is the software I use for quotas/monitoring.

Thank Post
    Geoff, does this tell your users when they're running low on credits?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it sends emails and will communicate with a win32 client app that will pop up a message onscreen too. However you can supply your own script to do something else if you want to.

Thank Post

pmp here too

i have used pmp v6 since it came out, it works well at stopping prints according to restrictions, the only problem i have found is that it doesn't update users accounts each monday when i tell it to, sometimes it does, and other times not.
    i'd try the other software first

Thank Post
    I used to use PMP 6.x but didn't find it entirely reliable and it wasn't flexible enough for my needs. I now use PyKota on a Linux box and have never looked back. As Geoff says, users get bombarded with emails when their balance is low/depleted.

There's also a nifty little feature to stop the little blighters printing the same thing out over and over jsut because it doesn't print instantly - I have it set to bombard them with emails again

We do physically charge the kids after they use the credit that we give them at the beginning of the year but mono prints are a fraction of a penny and colour is (at a maximum) 10p-ish. Staff printing is charged back to departments too (although they receive an allocation at the start of the year - this is an incentive to print less... the less they print, the more of the allocation there will be left over to buy crayons and the like).

Thank Post
    It's true, I also found bugs with early versions of PMP 6.x however the latter versions (I'm using 6.0.0.123) and it's very reliable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's true, I also found bugs with early versions of PMP 6.x however the latter versions (I'm using 6.0.0.123) and it's very reliable.
    It was only ever little annoying things... not the constant spooler crashes I know some people received!

I just figured, why spend all this money on a piece of software that has annoying bugs and doesn't offer as much flexibility as I would like when I can make my own PyKota server?

I have been running a PIII (Xeon) 700MHz with 1GB RAM as my print server for over a year... admittedly large jobs and heavy load slowed down printing but it has never actually fallen over! PMP wouldn't even have run on this I suspect. I am today building a quad 3GHz (P4) Xeonwith 4GB RAM to replace it. This server cost approx. 2 years maintenance for PMP!

Thank Post
    @Ric_ - You pay maintenance? All the sites I support bought the software for £500 (from memory) and to upgrade is optional.

I took a look at 7.x and it didn't include anything that made me think the upgrade was justified. 6.x does the job as intended and all my sites are happy as printing costs are managed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @Ric_ - You pay maintenance? All the sites I support bought the software for £500 (from memory) and to upgrade is optional.

I took a look at 7.x and it didn't include anything that made me think the upgrade was justified. 6.x does the job as intended and all my sites are happy as printing costs are managed.
    Maintenance is optional and gives you support and free upgrades.

Thank Post
    Not sure about free upgrades I'm sure it's included in your maintenance charges!

Thank Post
    We ran PMP 6 on a PIII 1000MHz with 1GB RAM for 2 years and it was flawless that was on 2003 server as well, it was also our WSUS server and it never seemed to get bogged down.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast