+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, XP Apperance in Technical; We have recently had some troubles with profiles and as a result various techs made various changes to various policies, ...
    Thank Post

XP Apperance

We have recently had some troubles with profiles and as a result various techs made various changes to various policies, something that i would far from recommend doing.

Anyway, the only lasting result of this is that all XP machines are booting with the grey, square look of windows classic, even at the log on screen!

I have done the usual of checking the settings in display and replaceing the profile of default user with one i had setup correctly but nothing is working. I am convinced that it must be a setting in group policy however the enable classic shell is not configured.

Anyone got any ideas where else this settingmay live or what i can do to resolve it.

Thanks ahead of time for any help forthcoming.

Thank Post
    daft question, but once you delted the default profile you did delete all the users profiles didn't you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    daft question, but once you delted the default profile you did delete all the users profiles didn't you?
    Not a daft question...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_M_Cox View Post
    Anyway, the only lasting result of this is that all XP machines are booting with the grey, square look of windows classic, even at the log on screen!
    When we get this it's the first sign that the profile is corrupt in some way

When I see it, I end up deleting the roaming profile on the server and checking that it has been deleted on the relevant work station(s) so that a new profile for the user is then generated from the default and there's no interfence from anything left on the PCs.

Thank Post
    I have this problem every now and again too.To solve it I delete all the profiles off the local machine (delprof) and then delete all the profiles off the server. Then when the user logs in a new profile will be created and copied to the server..

Works on my network.. try it with a test account first

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information