+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Right-click lockdown in Technical; Originally Posted by cookie_monster IMHO i think that right click is very handy, 'very' easy and will always be there ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    IMHO i think that right click is very handy, 'very' easy and will always be there everywhere else, making them use the alternatives is good education and helps students to not become too regimented in their thinking. The lazy option is available at home and in the work place, i've used a desktop without right click and the alternatives soon become second nature.

The security issues that has been discussed on here before give us reason to disable it. I think this should be reviewed occasionally as most trouble is generated by a few individuals.
    I think it is pretty obvious which side of the fence I'm on but I'm not trying to dictate policy.

While some people might see it as a 'lazy' option, I see it as highly productive and in a commercial environment that is important. And by teaching students to do things in a different way, they are likely to follow that path into the future.

If I am correct about the productivity side of it, then they are 'taught' to be less productive than some of their contemporaries. On average, that has to affect their life chances somewhat.

I don't know how I'd manage without right-click.

Thanks for replying anyhow.

Thank Post
    I get plenty of questions from students asking where the right click is on a Mac...

We have right click enabled in places where it's needed and isn't a risk and places where it isn't, its disabled....

so they can view properties and retrieve their own previous versions of files, but they can't view the properties of drives, taskbars etc.

It's a comprimise... you can't give them too much rights otherwise you can riot with it, or you can take so much away, that you get "Access is Denied" when you sneeze near it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispness View Post
    Hi

As an employer I want my employees to understand and use right-click because it is one of the most productive UI enhancements ever, IMHO. So I believe students should learn to use it at school.

Ta
    Alternatively businesses could put their money where their mouths are and provide the training their workers need (anyone here old enough to remember apprentices???) and leave schools to their role which is to "educate" their students.

Computers in schools are a tool to enhance teaching and learning, they are not here to enable students to be trained for industry.

A bit harsh maybe, but I get a bit fed up of schools being expected to do everyone elses work for them!!!

a) Parents lack the skills to raise children with some sort of moral code? No problem ........... schools will be made responsible.

b) Police/judicial system unable to stop kids carrying/using knives? No problem ........... schools will be able to fit metal detectors.

c) Feral and drunk kids wandering our streets? No problem ........... schools will be made responsible for teaching them the dangers of alcohol.

d) Parents unable/unwilling to care for their kids outside school times? No problem ........... extended schools, homework clubs.

e) Parents unwilling to feed their kids properly? No problem ........... schools will be made responsible for this. Schools providing breakfast for kids FFS!!!!

Rant over!!!

Thank Post
    ... On average, that has to affect their life chances somewhat.
    LOL
    Last edited by kennysarmy; 27th February 2008 at 03:12 PM.

Thank Post
    "I feel that learning to use this - pretty fundamental"

I'm not convinced, try using right click on a Mac they are becoming more popular and some students might end up working with them in future.
    Very few of our students ever complain about this as they're very good at adapting to small changes much better than adults, they very quickly find the alternatives and begin using them without issue. Some PC's in art and media have right click allowed and they use it seamlessly there and then switch back to not using it on general PC's i think this is useful as it encourages them to think their way around problems (which most of their contemporaries probably don't).
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 27th February 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Right click is available here - we seem to have no trouble with it as we use group policy to lock out bits we don't want students to have access to.

I agree it is important they learn how to use it.
    Exactly the same here....
    In my previous job they did lock down the right click which I always thought was wrong. Ok yes it does make people think differently and find different ways of doing the normal right click features but that is really a bad excuse for doing it.

Staff and students should be able to use a PC exactly how they would at home and use it "normally" like in the real world. Not to mention all the IT exercises staff use to teach students that use right click to teach! Also jcollings is right the amount of other group policies you can use to disable 90% of the vulnerabilities are there. :-)

Thank Post
    Hmm, I can't find anywhere where I have *removed* right click, only limited the choices that appear when you do. I can't quite work out what could be insecure about it. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Oh, Macs have right click these days unless you use the horrible one button mouse. :P

Thank Post
    Yeh alright not the best example. Anyway they don't have it here.

Thank Post
    I think it is pretty obvious which side of the fence I'm on but I'm not trying to dictate policy.

While some people might see it as a 'lazy' option, I see it as highly productive and in a commercial environment that is important. And by teaching students to do things in a different way, they are likely to follow that path into the future.

If I am correct about the productivity side of it, then they are 'taught' to be less productive than some of their contemporaries. On average, that has to affect their life chances somewhat.

I don't know how I'd manage without right-click.

Thanks for replying anyhow.
    Not sure what your saying here. Are you implying that not teaching them the method of right-click the pupils are being disadvantaged? I dont really think that that holds up. A school should be teaching the principles of how things work and the procedure to follow in order to achieve a set of results. There are always numerous ways to obtain the desired result and different networks will allow different ways to achieve this.

If you look at it another way, schools use various software to teach GCSE, not everyone uses Microsoft. It could be argued that by not teaching the so called standard office package that the pupils are at a disadvantage. This has been covered many times on here, but I believe that the pupils should be taught transferable skills how to do things. Different organisations use different software, have different restrictions, use different policies. The pupils should have the knowledge to work under different environments, not learn how to do things parrot fashion.

Thank Post
    Hi

<snip>

Who is right? Am I living in a fantasy world in expecting students to behave properly when given access to a PC?
    Ta
    Unfortunately I think you are. I have several students who tell me that their aim is to hack the systems before they leave. I have pointed out that it is illeagle but they dont see the problem.

The sanctions that stop normal office users from abusing the systems (disciplinary processes, affecting salaries etc) dont apply at school. They believe the worst that will happen is them being suspended or in detention and the "fame" that they would get by being able to do it seems to them to be worth it.

Anyway - FWIW, right mouse click is disabled here - which is a shame (IMO) but I understand the reasons.

Jonathan

Thank Post
    @ Jonathan, i know of a school where the tec reported a student to the police after they had warned them but they continued and eventually managed to cause damage, the police came in and gave them a hard time i think in the end they got off either with a caution or the school droped the charges. Either way i think the student got more than they bargained for.

Thank Post
    only disabled it on the actual right click of the word 'Start' on the taskbar , because it allows them to explore the hard disks which we do not want (even with the 2 group poilcys 1, hide drives and 2, prohibit exploring of local disks turned on), they cannot do anything to the hard disks but still do not like them exploring round folders... they can right click on folders, right click in windows explorer, and right click in Internet Explorer, with the exception of the start menu, i fail to see what disabling right click achieves. Could somebody enlighten me?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12