+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, USB Disk problems in Technical; I have a problem with one teachers laptop. When logged onto the laptop using a restricted 'user' account, it won't ...

Thank Post

USB Disk problems

I have a problem with one teachers laptop. When logged onto the laptop using a restricted 'user' account, it won't let them install and use the usb disk.

It is not restricted to just his account, just his laptop (as I have tried with my staff tester with the same laptop). If I use the pen drive as an admin, it works fine afterwards, but if a different pen drive is used, it refuses to play with the staff accounts, only on his laptop.

Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Are you getting prompted for drivers when you plug the drive in by any chance?

Thank Post
    No, it just says you need to be a member of administrators group to install this hardware: disk.
    Prompts you for user and password, (I presume for local/domain admin). If you click cancel, it then won't 'use' the usb stick at all...

Only affect's this laptop... Have been through all policies and google...

No luck as yet.

Will keep you posted.

Mark

Thank Post
    I think this is the old problem of non-certified drivers - if the device is not MS certified - you get this problem - afaik there is no workaround

Thank Post
    I don't belive this is the problem, since the driver (usbstor.sys) is digitally signed by microsoft. (I checked in device manager as admin, once the pen drive was plugged in!).

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
    I don't belive this is the problem, since the driver (usbstor.sys) is digitally signed by microsoft. (I checked in device manager as admin, once the pen drive was plugged in!).

Mark

what happens if you go into disk management can you see the usb drive, and if it's there can you change the drive letter?

Thank Post
    I have this problem here for 2 reasons. The driver for the usb stick has not been loaded onto the machine as admin. Log on as admin insert the stick and let it load up and that cures that.

The other reason I get it is if it is trying to map the drive to a drive letter that is already being used.

Just a thought.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    I have this problem here for 2 reasons. The driver for the usb stick has not been loaded onto the machine as admin. Log on as admin insert the stick and let it load up and that cures that.

Richard
    This is fine, but it does not cure the problem completely. What happens if the user buys a new pen drive? The problem still appears! It does not do this on any other workstations around school, just this laptop. It seems that it allows installation of usb devices as users on our desktops, just not on this laptop.

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    what happens if you go into disk management can you see the usb drive, and if it's there can you change the drive letter?
    Yes tried this and it works fine.

Might have to show some screen shots for you lot to show what I am on about!

Mark

Thank Post
    I always add the teachers group to the local admins for the laptop. Since its their laptop and I want them to use their school login credentials.

Thank Post
    I presume you can do this through GP? I remember doing it for Visual Basic users, when I installed Visual Studio 2005 (what a pain in the butt that was!)

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I always add the teachers group to the local admins for the laptop. Since its their laptop and I want them to use their school login credentials.
    You are a very brave person giving staff admin rights on anything..

Richard

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by markwilliamson2001 View Post
    This is fine, but it does not cure the problem completely. What happens if the user buys a new pen drive? The problem still appears! It does not do this on any other workstations around school, just this laptop. It seems that it allows installation of usb devices as users on our desktops, just not on this laptop.

Mark
    You are correct this does not get rid of the problem but how I reduce the agro I have is when I am creating ghost images I insert some of the usb sticks I have and the drivers are loaded at that time. There are a lot of different manufactures of usb drives but the insides are a bit more standard. If I do this I only get a few calls with this problem.

Just an idea.

Richard

Thank Post
    http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

You could try this

USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assingment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the previlege to change drive letters.
    It automatically solves conficts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
    Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assingment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the previlege to change drive letters.
    It automatically solves conficts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
    Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.
    Ah but does it get around the driver problem when the USB drive is inserted?
    The driver letter problem is not much of an issue except for the couple of staff who plug in multi-slot card readers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast