+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Computers that are RIS/WDS friendly in Technical; Hello, We are using RIS (remote installation service) that now became WDS , to deploy OS to client computers. The ...

Thank Post

Question Computers that are RIS/WDS friendly

Hello,
    We are using RIS (remote installation service) that now became WDS, to deploy OS to client computers.
    The problem is the drivers, I really need the all drivers to be "open" I mean not in executable format but rather .inf and .sys file and so on, that way RIS can automatically deploy them when installing the OS.
    If anyone know about a manufacturer that have all it drivers like that or any other recommendation how to resolve the problem I'll be grateful.

So far I could find that HP and Dell can't guarantee open drivers.

Many thanks

Z. Shadar
    System admin
    St. Dominic's School, Surrey.

Thank Post
    all hp drivers have the capability to run silently so can be scripted post-setup... i do this with hp laptops.

Thank Post
    All Dell drivers come within a self extracting exe file this will usually always extract the inf files to a folder on the c: drive - usually c:\dell\Rxxxx these can then be coppied into your wds drivers folder.

Thank Post
    We can provide pre extracted drivers apon request. PM if you need details.

Thank Post

Have some problem with HP and Dell

Hi, Thanks all for your replay.

HP gives most of their drivers as exe. Some extract to open format and some not. I would really like to have it as "open" driver because then I can have one RIS/WDS image for all the different hardware in the school.

Dell, we bought from Dell 4 computers, Optiplex 755. All drivers are fine beside the sound card which is soundMax and can only be installed by running an exe. Also these new computers have loads of problem and for example network connection will be lost with no reason. I called Dell support and at the end they admitted there was a problem with all these computers, but they expect me to seat and wait for them to fine a solution.

So now I look for alternative to Dell.

Thanks

Z. Shadar
    St Dominic's School, Surrey.

Thank Post
    If you extract the Dell provided soundmax driver package (obtained from their website), you should be able to use the contents of the SMAXWDM folder for RIS/WDS or sysprep installs. To do this, your XP image/install must be prepatched with the High Definition Audio Update patch in order for windows to correctly identify HD Audio cards. This patch is installed first when you normally execute the setup executable.

Thank Post

Still trying to aoutmate it

Hi, I found the update that you were speaking about Riedquat, it is KB835221 which comes with the driver. Unfortunatelly when I try to integrate it to the RIS build it doesn't except it, saying it the wrong version. I also tried the same with kb888111 which is the newer verision but I can't integrate it either.

Which leaves me in the situation now of only trying to do a silent install in the [runonce] section of the build.

If anyone have any ideas or how the ovid it in the future, please let me know.

Thanks

Thank Post
    All of HP drivers I have used do extract to an open format. Sometimes, you need to run the install program, then find the drivers in c:\program files\<some other folder>.
    TBH I've never not been able to find the driver.
    Type "extract all drivers from windows" into google and there are a few tools that can help. Someone mentioned a good and free one on here recently, but I've never used one so I can't recommend.
    is KB835221 which comes with the driver. Unfortunatelly when I try to integrate it to the RIS build it doesn't except it, saying it the wrong version. I also tried the same with kb888111 which is the newer verision but I can't integrate it either.
    I've integrated both of these updates into my RIS setup, so check your syntax. I've slipped up on trying to integrate on the server. You must run it from Windows XP (with the path on the server).
    Also check they're not dependent on something like SP2 - have you slip streamed this in?

Check this website:
    http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/12/
    It refers to making an unattended CD but it all works on RIS too, except where they talk about Winnt.sif, for RIS it's your template file.

Thank Post

That's what I did

Thanks Eean,

What I used was:
    N:\>\\dc1\staff$\ZShadar\temp\KB835221.exe /integrate:\\dc2\e$\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Ima ges\XPPROSP2

And the error message I get is:
    Setup
    ---------------------------
    An error occurred while attempting to integrate this software update package. Verify that the architecture, language, and service pack level of this software update are valid for the target distribution folder.
    OK

I tested it with a different KB and it's works fine.

My build is SP2 included.

If you have any other idea how to Intergrate it to the build then I'll be happy to know.

Thank Post
    Check the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;835221
    It doesn't apply to SP2, they must have fixed it in the SP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread