+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows 2000 AD users folder in Technical; I have recently taken over a windows 2000 server, all the users (about 50 of them) have been created in ...

Thank Post

Windows 2000 AD users folder

I have recently taken over a windows 2000 server, all the users (about 50 of them) have been created in the users folder in Active Directory, unfortunately this stops me from applying any group policies.

If I move the users to a newly created OU what will be the consequences, baring in mind that there wont be any GP's on them anyway willit affect any other areas of each user account.

Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can't add policies to the Users folder, only OUs. I am 99.9% sure you will have no problems. If you have service accounts there there, you might have a few if you move them. If you have service accounts, you might have a few if you move them. For example, if you have Websense and you are filtering by AD. Websense needs to know exactly where the service account is located.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 24th February 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    That's a first, I've never seent that before! If you're just creating a new OU and moving those end users everything should be absolutely fine. Of course users will begin to see changes once you start tweaking Group Policy.

I would also check what security groups they're a member of. There's a high probability they could all be domain administrators!!!!!!

Only administrator accounts and service accounts should be in the Users folder.

Thank Post
    If there are no GPOs applied to the default user folder then only the default domain policy should be having an effect. So creating an new OU and moving the users there wouldn't affect them.

Do you have an XP client available that you can remotely manage the server from download Microsoft Group Policy Management Console (GPMC)?

With this you can get a clearer idea of what GPOs are in place and model the effect of implementing any new GPOs.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies

I dont think that the GPMC will run on win2k server (or so i heard) havent tried it though...

ive checked the users and they're not domain admins its a very simple setup just whoever did it didnt bother with OU's as i guess they didnt want or didnt know about Group Policies.

Anyway, thanks for your help I will transfer over a couple of users that are no longer used first just in case..

cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iownitcouk View Post
    I dont think that the GPMC will run on win2k server (or so i heard) havent tried it though...
    Indeed it does not but you don't have to use a Win 2K box to manage your network... just install adminpak and GPMC on an XP client and you will be good to go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread