+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Maintainece Schedule in Technical; I have been asked to put to together a maintainece schedule for our PC's and laptops can any body give ...

Thank Post

Maintainece Schedule

I have been asked to put to together a maintainece schedule for our PC's and laptops can any body give me help into what kind of maintainece I should be doing on a half termly basis.

Also I need to do one for our servers such as checking logs and event viewer so again if somebody can let me know what to look for or have a list which they use themselves that will good.

Many Thanks.

Thank Post
    I'd find this info useful too . . . .

Thank Post
    We health check all the PCs and laptops that are in school (not teacher's laptops that go home) once a year during the summer - defrag, vscan, spring clean etc - and do a quick check probably termly I should think. Don't really have a formal schedule for it.

Event logs on your server: you should be checking these daily. Go through every event if you have the patience, or at least the warnings and criticals, looking for anything unusual or that you're not expecting. We've found it's the best way to stay ahead of stuff, DNS configuration for example was a bit broke last recently but still worked mostly; the event log was the only way we weren't aware that replication was doing half a job.

Thank Post
    Weekly visual walkaround of the machines looking for physical damage to base/TFT/KB/Mouse.

Summer term (and as in for repair or reimage), crack 'em open and blow the dust out with the compressor, wipe them down and make sure no fans are dying - fix any that are.

Keyboards and screens given a wipe on half terms.

Smartboards and projectors serviced, wiped down, cleaned out and reset/recalibrated on a monthly basis over a week at day end, split by floor.

Laptops get cleaned up, reimaged or sorted when they come in...we have no rota for them.

Aircon gets a service every 3 months, I run the diagnostics monthly and spray deodouriser/disinfectant into the intakes every 2 weeks or so. Can't hurt.

Thank Post
    Sirbendy: When you say do a weekly walkaround of the machines, do you also include those individual machines in classrooms?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sirbendy, how many machines do you have in your school and how many staff? That amount of checking would be impossible for me to do, as my working day is packed as it is...

Thank Post
    Hi There

We do maintenance for several local schools and tend to do the following on workstations annually:

Check all fans and replace if required.
    Clean system out (With a compressor)
    Check case / keyboard / mouse for damage and wear and tear
    Tidy all cables and reseat them all checking the connections fit properly
    Turn on all PC's and then restart (Listen for PSU fans failing and Optical drives)
    Scandisk and Defrag all Hard drives.

We tend to do this maintenance on the server quarterly and monitor the event logs for critical errors daily.

On the server we also do a quarterly check of all UPS, retension backup tapes, clean tape drives, clean up old exchange mailboxes and defragment exchange.

Depending on the systems you have in place the list could go on for ever !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Sirbendy, how many machines do you have in your school and how many staff? That amount of checking would be impossible for me to do, as my working day is packed as it is...
    Agreed! I'm in a managed service school with approx ~70 Desktops, ~40 laptops, 12 Projectors + Boards and would struggle to find time to even do half of that!

Rob.

Thank Post
    We have roughly 200 desktop machines here. I'd get around the suites in a day with no problem, but the classroom machines would be out of the question.

Thank Post
    Weekly Maintenance;
    Server; defrag, backup, log readthrough
    Desktops (Suite); general walk-around, sit in on a few lessons to check on "real world" useage performance
    Desktops (admin); defrag, updates, general running tests, backups

Every 3-4 weeks;
    Projectors quick clean with airduster (through fan holes, not taking down + apart), quick wipe of the SMARTboards too.

End of each half-term;
    Server; defrag, disk cleanup, thorough log readthrough, clean outer case and insides with PC Cleaner.
    Desktops (Suite); defrag, disk cleanup, check logging on / off / sychronisation and general use, software updates (flash, shockwave etc.), clean outer case and insides with PC Cleaner.
    Desktops (admin); defrag, updates, general running tests, backups, clean outer case and insides with PC Cleaner.
    Projectors; take apart and clean with PC airduster cleaner, test running / image quality / lamp life, wipe down SMARtboards, speakers etc too.
    Printers; test print speeds / quality / decide if replacement is needed soon, re-align print heads if needed + print head cleaning etc. replace ink / toner if needed, general cleaning.

End of summer term (before Summer hols )
    Complete cleanup and testing of everything mentioned above
    Staff Laptops; updates, cleaning, performance testing, installation requests, + any other jobs which can't be done while they use them for teaching.

We have aprox. 60 laptops, 50 desktops, 22 projectors + SMARTboards and 75 members of staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have asked for the info ont his thread to be put on a page onm the wiki so got central list etc

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi i am working on the list i haven’t forgotten about it.

Z

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There we go hows that. Please feel free to add to it.

http://www.edugeek.net/wiki/index.ph...inece_Schedule

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I find it interesting so many of you perform Scandisk and Defrag tasks so regularly. Windows will only recommend Defragging if a drive is 10% or more fragmented.

Another thing missing from the maintenance schedule is Service Packs. XP SP3 and Vista SP1 will/have been released recently, so implementing these into a schedule would be beneficial. Realistically, re-imaging workstations along with all new up-to-date plugins, applications and patches is recommended.

Service Packs added to Yearly Maintenance Schedule
    Last edited by Michael; 24th March 2008 at 11:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My schedule is as such:

Termly - clean equipment (projectors, mice, keyboards etc...)
    Termly - re-image all curriculum workstations, including all latest updates

I don't see the need to do any defragging, any disk checking etc... as re-imaging is much more efficient as it provides a fully optimised image for every machine. Building such an image takes a day, imaging all the machines another day. 2 days work instead of all that defragging etc... easy decision.

Everything else is done as and when needed. No formal maintenance windows, as I have too much general stuff to do to have such a schedule.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast