+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Staff Admin rights in Technical; Please can you advise if I should give Staff at our school Administrator rights on there own laptop`s. Please can ...

Thank Post

Question Staff Admin rights

Please can you advise if I should give Staff at our school Administrator rights on there own laptop`s. Please can anyone advise. I can see problems like itues and other software being installed.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Is there a reason why they need administrator rights? If not then personally I wouldn't bother. If all the software they need is installed on the laptop then I can't think of any other reason why they would need administrator rights, other than to modify settings and install more software.

Thank Post
    We allow it under the proviso that if they wreck it, we flatten it and put it back to how it was when they were first handed it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    We allow it under the proviso that if they wreck it, we flatten it and put it back to how it was when they were first handed it.
    Pretty much the same here.

Thank Post
    We do the same and only one teacher has done anything to be frowned upon. To be honest, the other teachers give him more grief than I do because if they use his classroom they have to take their own laptop with them as they can't find their way around his.

Thank Post
    All our staff have local admin rights on the school laptops for use off the network. No problems as yet!

Sorry hijacking this thread for another question.

Do most people use the same domain/gp restrictions for head/smt?

Thank Post
    Yep, no special treatment on permissions.

Thank Post
    Nope, All of SMT (bar 1) get the same Domain/GP settings as everyone else in the school..
    Tho I'm going to be re-assesing Admin permissions shortly....

Thank Post
    What happens for the "bar 1"?

Thank Post
    He has a few titles (Asst Head/Head of ICT/Head Of Science/Dir. of E-Learning...Chief Botttle Washer...) and he was acting-NM for a while before I came, so he has the same rights as me and my tech..

But I'm going to be re-evaluating the Permissions come Septemeber as I say so he may end up with fewer permissions than he had before...

Thank Post
    So even the head has same locked down machine? I've had an inkling recently that my head is none too happy with a locked down machine! But not really sure what to do as the head runs the show and employs me!

Thank Post
    We ran into no end of issues when they had restricted rights especially in the hols when we aren't always around. In the end we gave them local admin rights and made them sign an agreement that A, We would image it if they caused any issues and B, they aren't allowed to install Games or P2P apps. This applies to SMT and Teachers.

We do have a less restricted policy for those that want to do what they like, they get the laptop but can't use it on the network. They can use the internet at home and use a pendrive to transfer docs from the laptop to the network.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th February 2008 at 11:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to chip in...

To the hijacked sub-thread: all staff from head to cleaners all get same permissions here, and are subject to the same pc and network restrictions and web filtering.

And relating to admin permissions: Some staff (that i trust) get local admin on their classroom machines, and that's it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    So even the head has same locked down machine? I've had an inkling recently that my head is none too happy with a locked down machine! But not really sure what to do as the head runs the show and employs me!
    Our machines are only locked down from a network perspective, and its not posed any problem for us at all, not even with the 'needy' IT teachers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Staff have local admin rights on their school laptops and also a local account with admin rights for when at home.

They all know the rules about sticking software on and we do threaten them with an audit every so often. We have very few issues with them cocking things up and most staff are now competent enough so that we don't have to worry too much.

When they are logged into the school domain they get locked down, restricted control panels, etc ... but this is mainly so they have the same experience as students on desktops so that nothing they demonstrate should be that different to students.

We also clearly remind staff that the laptops belong to the school, not the staff ... they are only to be used at home for work purposes otherwise they become a taxable perk, that no other people (husband/wife/partners/children/etc) should use the machine and that no students are to use their machines either.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast