+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Random print jobs reducing to 25% in Technical; I'm having a problem with a print server I've setup, Every now and again, somebody will print, and it will ...
    Thank Post

Random print jobs reducing to 25%

I'm having a problem with a print server I've setup,

Every now and again, somebody will print, and it will scale the print job down to about 25% of the page

and it is completely random, different users, different machines, different printers.

I first noticed this problem with I setup a new print server using 2003 R2 and by the time I noticed the prob, the old print server's hardware had been retired, so there was no going back.

I've since created a new print server (playing with Hyper-V on 2008) using Server 2008 Standard, and the problem is continuing with this brand new printer server.

It seems to mainly occur on the 2x HP 3600DN Colour LaserJets, but has also happened a few times on a Lexmark T432 which means the problem is definately on the print server.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, do it for the trees, as soon as somebodys print job comes out @ 25%, they simply press print again and again and again expecting it to fix the problem!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had an issue like this with certain jobs sent to our networked photocopier. Turned out that the program involved was using some ancient post script commands. We sorted it by using the latest drivers and upgrading the firmware on the copier. Not sure if it is related to your problem but thought it might be helpful.

Thank Post
    As far as I know, I have the latest PCL drivers off the HP & Lexmark website but I'll have a look and see if I can find anything newer, but it's odd that it's happening to 2 different kinds of printers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Windows Server 2008 could be part of the problem. It wouldn't surprise me if drivers need to be re-written to work with this new OS, as is the case with Vista.

I would highly recommend sticking with Server 2003 R2 with Service Pack 2 installed. HP and other manufacturers will no doubt have drivers which are certified to work with 2000/XP/Vista and 2003 Server.

Typical problems I've had with HP printers are with HP TCP/IP ports, when manually creating a standard TCP/IP port solves the problem in all cases I've setup a networked HP printer. Not quite sure what HP are trying to achieve here!?

Some HP network printers are also host based, so by unticking Bidirectional Support can speed things up.

Keep me updated how you get on
    Last edited by Michael; 19th February 2008 at 07:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your suggestions Michael!

The thing is, the problems also occured on Server 2k3 R2, so I don't think its a prob being caused by Server 2008.

Related to the TCP/IP Ports, I did manually install the TCP/IP ports myself...

I will have a look @ that BiDirectional Printing option, although speed isn't really an issue.

What I've done now is set in the printer's default settings to scale to A4 and I'll see if that helps at all, however, I shouldn't really need to do this and the Lexmark doesn't have an option to scale.

The annoying thing about it is the randomness, impossible to pinpoint the problem!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I agree randomness is a pain in the bottom. I presume "everyone" has access to these printers? I've also found that adding "domain users" can also help in some unusual situations where permissions don't work as they should.

Thank Post
    Are you using the PCL6 drivers? I had no end of problems with these (although not the problem you have) and reverting to the PCL5 drivers solved everything!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Are you using the PCL6 drivers? I had no end of problems with these (although not the problem you have) and reverting to the PCL5 drivers solved everything!
    I using PCL6 Drivers, let me see if I can track down some PCL5 drivers and give it a try

Thank Post

Settings...

Maybe also check the advanced tab in the driver - Set it to start printing after last page has spooled in case there some controls at the end of the spool file.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David_PCN View Post
    Maybe also check the advanced tab in the driver - Set it to start printing after last page has spooled in case there some controls at the end of the spool file.
    thanks, will give that a try

Trying to setup a Win2k3 Print Server to test (because these probs began when I installed Win2k3 R2 & Win2k8) just having some mouse issues with Hyper-V

Thank Post
    Thanks to everybody for all your suggestions and help, just thought I would let you all know that I have found a solution:

I started from scratch with Windows Server 2003.

This means that the problems originate from something added by R2 or Server 2008.
    I will continue to play and see if I can figure out what, but for now, everything is working!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread