+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, NtBackup error when backing up automatically backing upSIMS in Technical; Hi everyone, I am running into an issue with regards to our backup of the SIMS DB. We have just ...

Thank Post

NtBackup error when backing up automatically backing upSIMS

Hi everyone,

I am running into an issue with regards to our backup of the SIMS DB.

We have just had it moved over to a new server with a new tape drive (actually an old server and an old tape drive but new to SIMS) and i am now experiencing problems when the automated process is starting at 11pm.

The system that the secretary has set up is the daily and weekly rotation of four tapes and one for each day.

The backup is failing however and i manually have to intervene. Although this does not work right away. I have to manually free up the tape and deallocate before the backup will run. I have looked at the Server 2000 issue with tape back up and RSM and am wondering if it is an issue with 2003 as well.

The error is "Cannot locate the specified media or backup device. This backup operation will terminate."

Anyone got any pointers?

I did not set up the scheduled backup operation. Mark came in to do it from Broadband Sandwell so i am unsure as to what he has configured.

Thank Post
    I have a feeling that it may be related to the media label. The scheduled copy to tape specifies the media label.

How can i get this working normally again?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 887 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am having problems with our SIMS server backups too at the moment. The situation is slightly diffrerent, but my approach may help you. The hardware is the same as it has always been: Same server and same tape drive.

I was getting errors partway through the backup including "You do not have permission to access this drive: C:\..." Also the backup was taking 3 to 4 times as long as it should have.

I thought initially the age of the tapes was causing the problem with the long backup time so now I am now using all new tapes. Now the backup will not proceed until I have confirmed manually that I would like to overwrite the data that is already on the tapes [I have moved the new tapes into the free pool] I have now emptied my tape library so that no tape catalogs appear. What I am hoping now is that once the new tapes have been through one cycle [completed one backup] things will return to normal and that the backup will proceed automatically as they have done for the past four years.

Thank Post
    This is a common problem with 2000 and 2003 server, it's to do with the way that Removable storage Manager manages media. We use this following script to run our backups, which works a treat:

rsm.exe refresh /LF"HP C1537A SCSI Sequential Device"
    sleep 30
    for /f "Tokens=1-4 Delims=/ " %%i in ('date /t') do set dt=%%i-%%j-%%k-%%l
    for /f "Tokens=1" %%i in ('time /t') do set tm=-%%i
    set tm=%tm::=-%
    set dtt=%dt%%tm%
    c:\windows\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\backup\daily.bks" /n "%computername%-%dtt%" /d "daily %dtt%" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hcn /m normal /j "daily %dtt%" /l:s /p "4mm DDS" /UM
    rsm.exe eject /PF"%computername%-%dtt% - 1" /astart
    exit

Replace "HP C1537A SCSI Sequential Device" with the actual name of your drive out of Device Manager

Replace c:\backup\daily.bks, with the name of your backup selection file (saved selections from NTBACKUP)

Replace "4mm DDS" with the type of media that you are using (This shows in NTBACKUP and could be DLT for example)

Sleep.exe, just creates a pause and can be downloaded from the Windows 2003 Resource kit on http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E-B18C4790CFFD

5. Thanks to garym2000 from:

DaveP (20th February 2008)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 887 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garym2000 View Post
    rsm.exe refresh /LF"HP C1537A SCSI Sequential Device"
    sleep 30
    for /f "Tokens=1-4 Delims=/ " %%i in ('date /t') do set dt=%%i-%%j-%%k-%%l
    for /f "Tokens=1" %%i in ('time /t') do set tm=-%%i
    set tm=%tm::=-%
    set dtt=%dt%%tm%
    c:\windows\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\backup\daily.bks" /n "%computername%-%dtt%" /d "daily %dtt%" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hcn /m normal /j "daily %dtt%" /l:s /p "4mm DDS" /UM
    rsm.exe eject /PF"%computername%-%dtt% - 1" /astart
    exit

Replace "HP C1537A SCSI Sequential Device" with the actual name of your drive out of Device Manager

Replace c:\backup\daily.bks, with the name of your backup selection file (saved selections from NTBACKUP)

Replace "4mm DDS" with the type of media that you are using (This shows in NTBACKUP and could be DLT for example)

Sleep.exe, just creates a pause and can be downloaded from the Windows 2003 Resource kit on http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E-B18C4790CFFD
    Thanks for that. It looks like it will be just the job. I have been looking for a way to eject the tape automatically after backup completion for ages. All the scripts I tried in the past invariably failed.
    Last edited by DaveP; 20th February 2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Remove stray character from post

Thank Post
    Just in case it confused you like it did me, the embarrassed face is : o without the space.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garym2000 View Post
    This is a common problem with 2000 and 2003 server, it's to do with the way that Removable storage Manager manages media.
    More like the way it doesn't manage the media is the reason it can't.

So is there a way to resolve this issue without resorting to scripts. Can I remedy the problem with RSM and get the tapes working.

I read that i could change the label for each tape media on each daily backup change the tape and then run the task and it will make RSM know what each label for each tape is.

Do i need to wipe down each tape and free it before i do this.

Thank Post
    Out of interest, does...

Tools > Options > General tab:
    "always allow use of recognizable media without prompting"

...have any effect on this problem?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread