+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, surf control web filter for isa 2004 in Technical; the problem i have is that i currently use the above product and the licence is up for renewal!colud Someone ...
    Thank Post

surf control web filter for isa 2004

the problem i have is that i currently use the above product and the licence is up for renewal!colud Someone give me some details a supplier who would sell me another years licencing or however many years they come in!

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    You may be better upgrading to Websense, Surfcontrol was bought by them last year so may as well make the jump to Websense now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that any new liscence brought will be for a websence product as from experience their support for surfcontrol stuff is dwindling fast. To get updates you need to use a special URL as their main site just points you to a black hole (their old knowledge base) where there are no downloads to be found you've got to go to http://customers.surfcontrol.com/ .

As to suppliers I don't know of any in the UK sorry.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is the link to the Websense distributors in your region they can probably sort you out with an extended liscence period or upgrade.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

krisd32 (15th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys i'll get on to them now as it needs sorting asap!
    cheers again

Thank Post
    Kris,

If your surfcontrol is up for renewal I am sure we can save you a few quid by comparison.
    We've a number of Smoothie users on here - most of whom will vouch for the efficacy of our product (won't you guys.... guys? ).

I'm not going to make any further commercial overtures - this isn't the place. Suffice to say, if you'd like a free, "no-strings" evaluation, give me a call.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank Post

per user licensing

Hi,

The thing that annoys me is that all most all web filtering companies use the per user licensing which is really bad for schools as the pupil number are far higher than staff in SMEs.

Surf control as well as websense are also in this game as well and when you addd up all the user the cost goes up significantly. I would like to see web filtering companies offer site license or per server license for education as least. This will allow schools to purchase decent web filtering software and not rely on RBC provided ones which sometime are too restrictive and sometime too open.

Ash.

Thank Post
    AFAIK the last place I licenced with Websense we just got enough students to cover the number of client PCs as whats the point of buying 1000 students when you only have 200 workstations? Its designed for dealing with up to a set number of concurrent connections AFAIK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hi,

The thing that annoys me is that all most all web filtering companies use the per user licensing which is really bad for schools as the pupil number are far higher than staff in SMEs.

Surf control as well as websense are also in this game as well and when you addd up all the user the cost goes up significantly. I would like to see web filtering companies offer site license or per server license for education as least. This will allow schools to purchase decent web filtering software and not rely on RBC provided ones which sometime are too restrictive and sometime too open.

Ash.
    Ash, I couldn't agree more.
    That's why we have always licenced per-PC - it doesn't make a jot of difference for 90% of our commercial customers, but for education where computers << users, it can mean te difference between being able to afford the solution or not. Similarly if someone wants to cluster our solution, since they are buying the hardware generally, we don't mind how many boxes it runs across at one site.

We have done "site licences" in the past, but it only really makes sense for larger installs (2000+ PCs).

Thank Post

not true in SC sense

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    AFAIK the last place I licenced with Websense we just got enough students to cover the number of client PCs as whats the point of buying 1000 students when you only have 200 workstations? Its designed for dealing with up to a set number of concurrent connections AFAIK.
    Hi John,

This is not strictly true of surf control, because when it monitors the users when the users (irrespective of number of stations) reach the nuber of licenses purchsed it will put the extra users as non-monitored used and therefore the blocks don't happen the the student are able to browse to the sites.

I think they are have changed this now but only recently after being taken over by websense. I think what they are doing is now generatng new license key for schools who have licenses less (i.e. per station) qty to match the number of pupils in the schools. For us this was done as no cost thing but i'm not sure about others.

@tom_newton

I welcome that smoothwall does it by per stations because as you said this does make it more affordable. So well done to you guys.

Ash.
    Last edited by spc-rocket; 18th February 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Thank Post
    I was on about Websense Ash rather than Surfcontrol, sorry if I didn't make this clear, and I may be wrong with the Websense one as well, as ever always check out the T&Cs of the licence before buying to either ensure your not under-licenced or over licenced

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread