+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Cannot install Server 2003 R2 disc 2 in Technical; I have install server 2003 std onto new dell server via the ell server install procedure. The disk is a ...
    Thank Post

Cannot install Server 2003 R2 disc 2

I have install server 2003 std onto new dell server via the ell server install procedure. The disk is a Volume Lisence Edition. I added the serial code to te dell wizard and it all installed fine.

Now when i come to use the second disk which has the R2 features and upgrade on it asks for a serial code again which i belive is common practice, but it wont accept the code at all.

So yes the code worked for the original install using disk 1 but now wont accept the code for disc 2

I can't get my head around it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I have install server 2003 std onto new dell server via the ell server install procedure. The disk is a Volume Lisence Edition. I added the serial code to te dell wizard and it all installed fine.

Now when i come to use the second disk which has the R2 features and upgrade on it asks for a serial code again which i belive is common practice, but it wont accept the code at all.

So yes the code worked for the original install using disk 1 but now wont accept the code for disc 2

I can't get my head around it.
    Do you have a R2 license code? It's a separate license as it has to be purchased as a replacement for your old non R2 licenses (no upgrades ) At least for those machines you want to use the R2 features on.

The VLK for Server 2003 and Server 2003 R2 is different, but as disk one is identical it will install with either. The reason it asks is so you can add R2 features once you have a R2 license without reinstalling.

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Kyle (6th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,663 Times in 2,260 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you sure that it is an r2 key and has the server been updated to service pack 2 as this could cause some issues unless you have updated the R2 disk to sp2 as well

Thank Post
    Well, I have recently installed a 64bit server 2003 in another school and the code i used for the install worked for the r2 disc 2 .

Slighty off topic, if you install R2 first and i correct in thinking that until you update the schema the R2 features wont work ?

If so i need to go back and update the schema........................!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Well, I have recently installed a 64bit server 2003 in another school and the code i used for the install worked for the r2 disc 2 .

Slighty off topic, if you install R2 first and i correct in thinking that until you update the schema the R2 features wont work ?

Then the key is the 64 bit R2 VLK, if you are using 32 bit then you need a 32 bit R2 VLK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Then the key is the 64 bit R2 VLK, if you are using 32 bit then you need a 32 bit R2 VLK
    Quite correct, so just to back you up there are definitely new keys required for R2.
    You could download the R2 disk from microsoft a while back, don't know if you still can. Our keys were upgraded on the microsoft volume licence site when R2 was released.

Thank Post
    Yes... I would if you are planning on using the R2 features, then you have no choice so you may as well do it beforehand.

Although you dont have to, you can put the key alongside your Server 2003 one using the following [if you are trying to install via RIS for example]:

Code:
    ProductKey = "AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEE"
    ProductID = "FFFFF-GGGGG-HHHHH-IIIII-JJJJJ"
    Remember:
    ProductKey = your windows 2003 key
    ProductID = your windows 2003 R2 key [as R2 is basically a bolt on]

This should work for a media based method too, so if the Dell tool you are using allows it [I've never used our Dell tools to install the servers so dont know whethere it would allow it but anyhow...], edit the answer file and change the following to the above.

If you are doing a media based install, it will ask you for the second disk when you get to it, or if during the install of 2003 you have connected to the network etc, you could specify a network location to put the second CD i.e. I have it so at the end of the install it installs R2 automatically using the GUIRunOnce section - kicks off a batch file that does:

Code:
    start /wait \\YOURSERVER\SOMESHARE\SRV2K3R2\setup2.exe /q /a

start /wait %windir%\system32\sysocmgr.exe /i:sysoc.inf /u:\\YOURSERVER\SOMESHARE\SRV2K3R2\r2comp.inf
    r2comp.inf consists of:
    Code:
    [Version]
    Signature = "$Windows NT$"
    [Components]
    and you can choose the components to install automatically here if needed... we havent [yet] as no need to.

Hope this helps
    Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread