+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, IPaq Vs WLAN in Technical; Ok, this one has me stumpted and all suggestion will be taken. We've just recieved a new IPaq 214 for ...

Thank Post

IPaq Vs WLAN

Ok, this one has me stumpted and all suggestion will be taken.

We've just recieved a new IPaq 214 for trialling the Sims Mobile Registration, the only problem is that its refusing to connect to our wireless network.

The IPaq see's the wlan, I enter the key and it just sits their saying connecting. Ok, maybe a problem with the wlan config so I setup a trace on our wireless controller and its passing all the authentication. To double check I booted up Ubuntu, changed the wireless MAC to the same as the IPaq and got connected, no problem.

Maybe a problem with the IPaq, took it home, connected straight away to my home wireless so HW seems ok.

I've tried setting a static IP on the ipaq but didn't help.

I've also installed vxSniffer on the IPaq to check whats happening and this I where I'm at:

The IPaq finds the wlan and starts to connect, sends its initial key and recieves one back from the wlan and then loses all idea about what to do next and starts sending packets asking to start the authentication but doesn't recieve a response. So somewhere between the handshaking with temporal keys and requesting an IP it falls over.

HELP!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    What is your authentication and encryption setup?

Ben

Thank Post
    WPA-TKIP with MAC based RADIUS authentication.

Thank Post
    I'm having the same problem too, and we're using it for SIMS Class Monitor.

Has anyone got a successful Class Monitor / PDA combo?

Thank Post
    I've had issues with some devices not sending out any network traffic when they connect to the network, this stops the switch from finding out the mac address of the device and authenticating it.

Thank Post
    Is your network 11b/g mixed mode or g-only? If, like ours, it's the latter, make sure that the iPaq hardware supports 11g. Even if it doesn't, it will still see the network. It sounds like the iPaq supports WPA, I'd be surprised if a 214 didn't. The only thing that comes to mind is that the iPaq doesn't support RADIUS.

PS. It's windows mobile 6, right?

Thank Post
    @DMcCoy

I was thinking along those lines too but the trace from the wlan controller shows that the wlan is recieving the MAC of the PDA and successfully processing it.

@bizzel

Originally the wlan was set to accept only G, I've since changed it to B+G but didn't make any difference.
    Yes, its Windows Mobile 6 Classic. My home network is WPA based and it works successfully on that.

I'm guessing its going to center around the MAC authentication but I don't know where since as far as the wlan is concerned its doing all that it should do.

Last edited by dan400007; 30th January 2008 at 02:45 PM.

Thank Post
    Just a thought but we had an issue where ipaqs wont see channel 12 or 13 if you set the AP to 11 or below they work fine.

Also some Ipaqs do not support WPA TKIP we have had to sell off some because of this.

Try a static IP if you can to see if it is timing out on your DHCP request
    Last edited by 17thcpikeman; 30th January 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Our access points run on channels 1, 4, 7 and 11. I did consider this as a possible problem and so have tried to connect next to all 4 different channels.

This IPaq does support WPA-TKIP as it can connect to my home wireless, running on channel 11.

The PDA is quite resonable apart from this wlan problem. If anyone has a wifi enable Windows Mobile then I'd suggest installing some of the vx software. It's great for network troubleshooting on the move.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    What is the client on the ipaq that doe the connecting.

Have you tried using odessey or even securew2?

Ben

Thank Post
    Just given securew2 a try but didn't help.

I was starting to think that they just arn't compatible but I've just checked and both are WiFi Certified so should be ok. The next step for the IPaq is under my foot.

Thank Post
    Any chance you can try it without radius on the same network? If you're going to crush the iPaq, consider donating it to a worthy cause (me! pick me!) instead.

Thank Post
    Earlier today I decided to great another SSID on the wlan and set it with WEP but it still wouldn't connect. Then I removed ALL security and it would connect very briefly, disconnect, wait a couple of seconds, connect very briefly and then disconnect and not reconnect.

I am at a total loss with this now. The IPaq is for use in one department so I may just get a bog standard AP and setup security on the network port the AP connects to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan400007 View Post
    Ok, this one has me stumpted and all suggestion will be taken.

We've just recieved a new IPaq 214 for trialling the Sims Mobile Registration, the only problem is that its refusing to connect to our wireless network.

The IPaq see's the wlan, I enter the key and it just sits their saying connecting. Ok, maybe a problem with the wlan config so I setup a trace on our wireless controller and its passing all the authentication. To double check I booted up Ubuntu, changed the wireless MAC to the same as the IPaq and got connected, no problem.

Maybe a problem with the IPaq, took it home, connected straight away to my home wireless so HW seems ok.

I've tried setting a static IP on the ipaq but didn't help.

I've also installed vxSniffer on the IPaq to check whats happening and this I where I'm at:

The IPaq finds the wlan and starts to connect, sends its initial key and recieves one back from the wlan and then loses all idea about what to do next and starts sending packets asking to start the authentication but doesn't recieve a response. So somewhere between the handshaking with temporal keys and requesting an IP it falls over.

HELP!
    by any chance are you using a Belkin pre-N wireless router. I am, so is another user over at Brighthand. We both have the same problem, and no solution. I have approached Belkin, who - you guessed it - blame HP. I have no solution, but would be interested to know if this is the same issue I am having.
    Last edited by wetsleet; 27th February 2008 at 01:56 PM.

Thank Post
    or is it one of these routers? HP lists them as "compatible", but I strongly suspect that might be a typo and they forgot to prefix "in".
    Or did you crush the iPAq after all...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast