+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Anyone here used Impero LAN Monitoring? in Technical; I've been sent a link to a network monitoring software company called Imperio. Has anyone used their Lan Monitoring software ...
    Thank Post

Anyone here used Impero LAN Monitoring?

I've been sent a link to a network monitoring software company called Imperio. Has anyone used their Lan Monitoring software before. It shows remote PC Screens and what any user has done on the network, including which files and folders they have opened and which websites they have accessed.
    The screenshots on their website don't look that great and I would image that that level of monitoring must put quite an overhead on the network.

Any reports here?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Anyone here used Impero LAN Monitoring?

I recall a representative of the company spamming these very forums not too long ago.

Thank Post

Ok, that explains the only result for 'Imperio' when you use search, couldn't quite figure out what GrumbleDook meant. I presume that all those posts were deleted then.

I guess that will have coloured everyone's view of the company here - wonder if they were any good

Thank Post

Hi

I have ran a trial with staff at our school with a single console and 30 workstation.

Overall it looks good, we already have syncroneyes for remote monitoring but I have found this has limited capabilities and only connects to a PC after a user has logged on. Impero has more features and I think has better remote control of the workstations.

We're looking at it as an anti-bullying type thing as it picks up on typed words so for example if you had 'bum' as an inapproriate word as soon as the last character is typed in ANY application word, excel, etc then Impero takes a screen-shoot, logs who, when, etc and raises an alert on the teachers PC and logs the info to the server software.

We are hoping to be a bit more liberal in ICT use for students and open up instant messaging and blog/forums and hopefully this software will facilite safety of these systems.

As for bandwidth over-head, I've not noticable had any problems with the network but haven't pulled any before/after comparisons. CPU overhead, again not had any complaints (and staff here would!!!) So un-sure of overhead but not had any issues.

Overall at this stage I'm going to the school and recomending that this is the way forward for us. (and hoping that I am right)

I don't work for Impero but I can recommend a trial of the software it is impressive although not 100% tested for me.

Ta

PAUL

Thank Post

We have used Impero for some months now and we're really impressed with the application.

The monitoring aspects are exactly what is needed and, what is so great about the company is that they take feedback from their customers and incorporate is as best they can into the upgrades and updates.

As a piece of monitoring kit and a way of "proving" kids have done something they shouldn't, Impero is highly recommended.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We've used Impero for about 2 or 3 years now and although it does still go through development stages, it's a great piece of software.
    Can recommend it thoroughly in terms of ease of use, configuration, new feature additions and help.

Also, I think there are a company called Imperio, not to be confused with Impero which is what most of us are on about.
    If anyone wants to know about Impero stuff feel free to PM me, we've used it from near enough its creation

Thank Post

We have used Impero for almost a year now, after a lengthy trial last Nov\Dec. Overall I would say we are happy with the product and would recommend it to anyone looking for something that is easy to use. There may be better technical solutions out there but for me the ease of use was key to our decision to go ahead with it. You can easily delegate the console functions to teaching staff so they can monitor their own classroom and Impero has some useful teaching 'aids'.

Impero is still being very actively developed and the developers are very approachable; they are quick to respond to problems and issues and always willing to listen to ideas for product enhancements.

The very active development has a downside; the releases & upgrades come thick & fast and sometimes it is difficult to keep up with the release schedule. On occasions too I have felt that we were 'beta' testing the code however the fact that problems do get dealt with very quickly has so far meant we have never suffered a major problem.

I would advocate downloading the code & running it for a free trial.

Thank Post

we are running the trail version and so far so good, we were testing the video streaming capabilities today, results did not look to good, i will need to check the network side of things before jumping to any conclusions about this functionality.
    I like the restrict multiple logins featue too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have just moved over to it from Ranger, works very well for us. Would recomnend a demo if at all possible.

Thank Post

how does this compare with netsupport school ?

Thank Post
    Big thumbs up from me, having worked with it during my time in Nottingham and now able to use it from a teaching point of view increases my opinion of it.
    Especially exceptional for primary schools as it has a brilliant logging feature and the ability to remotely start software/websites as some of the key features I use.
    Wake-on-lan/shut down all also a key feature for primary schools, saving lots of money on electricity and time shutting them all down at the end of the day.

I very much recommend a look at this software, continually releasing new features and also very approachable guys if you think of any features that you would like.

Cheers
    Steve

Thank Post
    I've not used it but I would like to point out an extremely cheap option. I have this in 6 IT suites around the school, and of all the products I've tested this offers unbelievable value for money. It is called ABControl or AB Tutor Control.

More info including prices an be found here:

http://www.abtutorcontrol.co.uk/

For anyone paying top dollar for Ranger or NetOP, I would seriously consider looking into this product.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I spent half an hour with Impero at BETT suggesting new features for their product. It seems to be a solidly featured product and some of the suggestions I gave them will be implemented in the near future (scheduled log dumps and the ability to get every machine in a room to mimic a chosen machine, for when you need to do a task on an entire suite such as an emergency registry fix etc so you don't have to visit every PC in turn). I liked it. They will be sponsoring or advertising with us soon I think.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've recently gone for ABTutor here too after messing around with inhouse/free options. Works fine.

Thank Post
    We could do with setting up a wiki page on this topic as its becoming a bit "hot" as students are put in rooms with full internet access and asked to go to just a limited number of sites or asked not to use the internet at all!

If we could set up a feature comparison table that woudl be great. Not used the wiki here yet and I only speak basic wiki mark up...

So far Impero seems to give us the best control as it shows a list of open applicaitons even those not with focus so you can see at a glance the windows open in a room. The ability to record and automatically capture screen shots "violations" for sessions is also great when it comes to enforcing acceptable use policies.

We need to find a solution that will work in a terminal services environment too.

ChrisJ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast