+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Liberum problems on IIS in Technical; I'm having a couple of problems with Liberum running on IIS on Server 2003. They're not 'show stoppers' but slightly ...
    Thank Post

Liberum problems on IIS

I'm having a couple of problems with Liberum running on IIS on Server 2003. They're not 'show stoppers' but slightly irritating. I think they're probably related.

I'm using 'NT Authentication' for the logon and Firefox as the client.

1) The first time I access Liberum in each session, I am asked by the browser to enter my username and password. Entering the same credentials I just used to logon to windows works. I don't get asked again during the windows session.

2) If I leave Liberum doing nothing for about 10-20 minutes, I get this:-

Number: -2147467259 (0x80004005)
    Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
    Description: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specifiedNo more information is available.

Contact your administrator or visit the Liberum Help Desk website.

I have to go back to the Liberum home page to start again. I don't get asked for credentials again, though.

Any ideas? Please don't spend too much time on this, as, as I said, it's not a real problem, just annoying.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Liberum problems on IIS

What security settings/authenication have you got set up in the ISM for the Helpdesk Folder?

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you are using iis6/2003 there is 2 security settings that are turned off by default that were not in previous versions. This caused me to experience the same page could not be displayed. #1 is to select the enable parent paths checkbox (google search this common issue) #2 is to allow asp on the web service extensions section of iis console.

There should not be a "username" if you access the admin/default.asp properly it should then take you adminpass.asp where you will see only a place for the password.

since the archive section of this forum is down I had to figure this out myself the hard way.
    Found this on the Liberum Site it may help!

Let me knwo what settings you've got and I'll see if I can dig out the settings from mine!

Wes

Thank Post

Wes,

Sorry for taking a while to get back.

I've had a good look at the Liberum website and didn't find much. I've already enabled the parent paths to solve another problem I had.

ASP is already allowed.

The 'helpdesk' IIS folder that contains Liberum has had anonymous access disabled and authentication set to 'integrated windows'. NTFS permissions are set on the folder to allow read-only access to staff, and full access to admins.

It's just wierd that when you access the helpdesk, the browser prompts for the same username and pw that you've just used to log on - like it's forgot who you are. The domain controller knows, but IIS doesn't. It needs to be told seperately.

Then there's this strange 20 minute time out. If you don't use the site for 20 minutes you have to go back to the start.

Does this help? I'm new to IIS, so I'm still finding my way. (I've never used Apache either - is it any easier?)

Thank Post

If anyone's reading this:

The problem doesn't appear with IE, only Firefox. It's something to do with Firefox not authenticating automatically with the IIS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@OverWorked: I know there is an option in firefox config that allows this, though.... can't remember what! 8O

EDIT Ah ah ah.. got it!

If you need windows Auth in firefox do the following: open firefox browse to about:config find “network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trused-uris” modify the value and enter in your intranet sites that you must pass your username and password to. For some site i connect to i also had to add values to: “network.negotiate-auth.delegation-uris” “network.negotiate-auth.trusted-uris”

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

you can use shorthand like the proxy exceptions there too so here I end up with:

Code:
    10.73.24.0/22, .carrhill.lancs.sch.uk
    Which covers everything, everywhere, ever.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Sorry OverWorked for the delay checked my settings yours are identical! We don't use firefox here presently so I haven't come up against your problem in regards to this I'll install firefox and see!

Wes

Thank Post

Just to update:-

Since I installed the QCA KS3 ICT testing APS on the same server as Liberum, the problem works the other ay round.

Now, if I log on to Liberum with IE, I get asked for credentials by the browser; if I log on with Firefox, I don't.

I can't be sure that the QCA DPS is the cause, but it's the only thing I can think of involving a web server - tomcat.

Weird. Answers on a postcard please!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread