+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Pupil Access to 'Previous Versions' in Technical; Looking for a bit of a shortcut. I'm putting the Shadow Copy Client on the Desktop PCs so that pupils ...
    Thank Post

Pupil Access to 'Previous Versions'

Looking for a bit of a shortcut.

I'm putting the Shadow Copy Client on the Desktop PCs so that pupils can restore their own work. When I test it with a pupil account the Windows' "File & Folder Tasks" on the common task bar to the left shows "View previous versions" but when clicked on the Previous Versions Tab does not open - no warning/error is given - but it's obviously to do with Group Policies as when a teacher user logs in to the same machine they can use Previous Versions fine.

Right-Click is disabled for users, but this shouldn't stop the properties page from opening, as they should be able to open it from the common tasks. However, I can't find the Group Policy setting to block 'Properties' in Windows Explorer.

Can anybody think/know of the place where this setting may be set in the Pupil GPO?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at this KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888603

At the bottom it describes some registry keys that can affect this.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Geoff - I'll have a look through that.

From my own testing it seems to be the only way to get to Previous Versions is to allow Right-Click Context menus. Unfortunately this provides loads of little loop-holes and things that I don't particularly want the pupils to be looking at, Catalyst Control Centre for example.

If only there was a standalone shadow copy application that maybe mounted a drive or something similar. Would be perfect solution for users sorting out their own backups. Having it blocked down because "Remove Windows Explorer's default context menu" is enabled seems one of those little annoyances that pop-up all the time, something that should be so simple just isn't

EDIT: Thanks for the link Geoff - unfortunately that is to disable Previous Versions Tab. I want it available and it does show for all users in the "common tasks" bar on the left of the explorer window. It just won't open if right-click context menus are not enabled, even though you left click on the common tasks & other common tasks work when left-clicked.
    Last edited by mortstar; 25th January 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post

I tried it out last year but theres no central control for it unless you make your own gp addons.

The problem I found was that although students can revert back their home drive, they can also revert back entire mapped drives.

I didnt try it using a student account only that I had the option to and thought... ummmmm. Would user rights to that folder prevent it going back?

Thank Post
    That's a good point, I'll see if a user can get to the root of the share. Hopefully they should only be able to see their own "H:" drive and below.

EDIT: If a pupil goes to their Previous Versions on the root of their H: drive, going a folder up just takes them to "My Network Places", from which they cannot access anything, as all options have been removed from this window by Group Policy.
    Last edited by mortstar; 25th January 2008 at 03:31 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread