+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Microsoft to Force IE7 Update on February 12th in Technical; InfoWorld is reporting that on February 12th, Microsoft will roll out Internet Explorer 7 through Windows Server Update Services to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Microsoft to Force IE7 Update on February 12th

InfoWorld is reporting that on February 12th, Microsoft will roll out Internet Explorer 7 through Windows Server Update Services to all systems - regardless of whether or not the update had been requested previously. The piece also mentions ways to prevent the update from occurring, for sysadmins who do not want to use IE7 on their systems. Microsoft claims that the decision was made due to 'security concerns'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Microsoft claims that the decision was made due to 'security concerns'.
    Nothing to do with the fact that Firefox is gaining a good following now and the complaint from Norwegian browser maker Opera to the EC ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Surely not, mattx... that would never happen

Thank Post
    Might explain, in a round about kinda way, why I've not been able to Download IE7 via WSUS for a while.. can't find it anywhere

If they are gonna force it out (Critcal Update?) then at least my PC's will start to get it..

BTW, thought SP3 was supposed to contain IE7?

Thank Post
    SP3 isn't meant to contain IE7 (the trail version doesn't anyway) but now its been forced out it might do

Thank Post
    @ Gatt, yeh i've seen a few posts about that i think they've pulled the update untill they roll out the updated version.

Service packs don't tend to contain IE version updates so i think it's unlikely that SP3 would contain IE7.

Thank Post
    oh....should I be worried if I have settings deployed out via active directory that pertain to the computer and user settings of "windows components/internet explorer" and others that restrict menus in IE, force the proxy etc? or will all this just carry through to IE7?

Thank Post
    IE7 will support most of them but you can just upgrade the ADM files to the IE7 versions and then you will have even more options to lock down IE.

Thank Post
    This is going to cause us loads of grief. Our science teachers run software which shows simulated experiments (can't remember the name of it off hand) and it only runs under IE6. It crashes under IE7 and refuses to load at all under Firefox.

Yesterday I had one user who insisted that she need IE7, as it was the "best browser". It refused to install, saying the cryptographic service wasn't running (which it was). I'm still trying to beat this one into submission; I think it is going to be easier to convince the user to stick with Firefox.

Thank Post
    You will need the adm template for IE7 in order for the settings to work correctly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I think we'll migrate to FF

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by openhgs View Post
    This is going to cause us loads of grief. Our science teachers run software which shows simulated experiments (can't remember the name of it off hand) and it only runs under IE6. It crashes under IE7 and refuses to load at all under Firefox.
    @openhgs - That's not the heart operation one is it at http://www.pbs.org? We had loads of grief getting it to work on our machines.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 22nd January 2008 at 10:20 AM.

Thank Post
    just reading further...

does this only affect us if we are updating via WSUS?

Thank Post
    Are the IE7 adm templates backward compatable? Is that a stupid question? (Being that we're dealing with microsoft here I assume so :P )

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    To answer some of your questions -

For networks still running IE6, the Internet Explorer policies do still apply to IE7, but it's highly recommended you download and import the updated inetres.adm file as there are a lot more policies as you shall see!

You can still run IE6 and IE7 in the same network, but of course IE7 policies will not apply to workstations still using IE6. Similar to Windows 2000 and XP - XP's Firewall policies don't apply to Windows 2000.

Once you've installed the application, within AD add/import the new inetres.adm file located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Group Policy\ and overwrite the existing version. All new IE7 policies will then become available.

Typical examples are controlling Tabbed browsing availability and the very annoying IE7 welcome screen can be avoided by directing users to their home page.

As for XP SP3, in a MS document, it did state IE7 will not be included. This of course could change, but as already stated MS have never included a complete new browser in a Service Pack. Chances are it'll just be IE6 SP3, with IE7 forced on all users!
    Unless there are specific compatibility issues, IE7 should work absolutely fine in any network. IE7 has been out for quite some time now, so applications or websites which require IE6 natively should have been updated to work with IE7.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast