+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Microsoft to Force IE7 Update on February 12th in Technical; Originally Posted by CyberNerd I think we'll migrate to FF Anybody got any good sites on how to lock down ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I think we'll migrate to FF
    Anybody got any good sites on how to lock down Firefox?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've successfully deployed (via MSIs) and locked down (via GPOs) Firefox using the guides and scripts published by the Firefox Corporate Project.

http://fxcorp.sanduskycomputers.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To answer some of your questions -

For networks still running IE6, the Internet Explorer policies do still apply to IE7, but it's highly recommended you download and import the updated inetres.adm file as there are a lot more policies as you shall see!

You can still run IE6 and IE7 in the same network, but of course IE7 policies will not apply to workstations still using IE6. Similar to Windows 2000 and XP - XP's Firewall policies don't apply to Windows 2000.

Once you've installed the application, within AD add/import the new inetres.adm file located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Group Policy\ and overwrite the existing version. All new IE7 policies will then become available.

Typical examples are controlling Tabbed browsing availability and the very annoying IE7 welcome screen can be avoided by directing users to their home page.

As for XP SP3, in a MS document, it did state IE7 will not be included. This of course could change, but as already stated MS have never included a complete new browser in a Service Pack. Chances are it'll just be IE6 SP3, with IE7 forced on all users!
    Unless there are specific compatibility issues, IE7 should work absolutely fine in any network. IE7 has been out for quite some time now, so applications or websites which require IE6 natively should have been updated to work with IE7.
    I've downloaded the msi you link to...

I try to run it on my windows 2000 dc and it the first thing it say is that it is for installing on XP SP2 and Server 2003 sp1.....do I need to do this on my workstation and import the adm templates through the "Group Policy Management" tool....

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    That's correct kennysarmy

Thank Post
    Tell me if I'm missing something here. Why are people still groaning about IE7? I've had it rolled out to over 600 pc's for ages now. I've never had a problem. And yes its use is restricted through group policy (or as the commoners call it 'locked down' sheesh). Why would people want to confuse matters (and we are talking about school kids here) by installing a second browser for people to use and go through the aggro of 'locking it down'?

"migrate to FF" - what a joke, I fell off my chair laughing! (And for anyone that tries to flame me saying 'ohhhh look at the Microsoft fanboy' you should know that firefox is my browser of choice.)

back to the topic at hand- i see no reason why people arent using IE7 already, if people get stung by the same trick again... well perhaps you should consider a career change.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that for kids, and more so hapless teachers, things should be as simple as possible. Two browsers is going to confuse people in the School I work in, and people wouldn't use it anyway. Install virtual pc and get testing IE7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    "migrate to FF" - what a joke, I fell off my chair laughing! (And for anyone that tries to flame me saying 'ohhhh look at the Microsoft fanboy' you should know that firefox is my browser of choice.)
    why not? it runs here on 300+ machines and IE6 only sites render fine in IETab on windows.

Why would people want to confuse matters (and we are talking about school kids here) by installing a second browser for people to use and go through the aggro of 'locking it down'?
    because not all machines run IE7. Mostly everything runs Firefox, so why go through the 'aggro' of 'locking down' IE7 when FF is already here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    InfoWorld is reporting that on February 12th, Microsoft will roll out Internet Explorer 7 through Windows Server Update Services to all systems - regardless of whether or not the update had been requested previously. The piece also mentions ways to prevent the update from occurring, for sysadmins who do not want to use IE7 on their systems. Microsoft claims that the decision was made due to 'security concerns'.
    Anybody got the phone number of the EU antitrust lawyers....i'm sure this dastardly move would interest them,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    why not? it runs here on 300+ machines and IE6 only sites render fine in IETab on windows.

because not all machines run IE7. Mostly everything runs Firefox, so why go through the 'aggro' of 'locking down' IE7 when FF is already here.
    Great for you, I cant see any of my 1200 users being bothered to learn how to navigate with a new browser though, especially when its not needed because I've always managed to get everything working in IE7. As for the IETab addon (I use this in firefox myself), well one word really - why? another inconvenience to unnecessarily put kids through, just to view a website that was styled by a sloppy designer.

Not all machines run IE7? I'm not sure I follow? All computers will run IE7 cos I've had Celeron 400mhz's running it. If your getting confused between 'machine' and operating system then let me clear things up for you. All 'machines' (i hope we are not including hoovers here because they are 'machines' too remember) will run IE7. The Operating System you may know as windows 2000 will not.

If you are struggling with getting IE7 working to your liking I don't mind sharing a few words of wisdom. Start a new thread and id be happy to solve all of your IE7 woes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Well I got my finger out this afternoon and finished our roll out of IE7 - 90% of the PCs on our network already had it but 12 PCs in our Pre Prep Nursery I had not got round to.
    So off I went and managed to get all done [ with updates, and flash player 9 ] in around 30 mins....
    In the FF v IE7 stake, I run both - at least users have a choice that way.
    I find FF easier to script around though...

Thank Post
    Tell me if I'm missing something here. Why are people still groaning about IE7? I've had it rolled out to over 600 pc's for ages now. I've never had a problem. And yes its use is restricted through group policy (or as the commoners call it 'locked down' sheesh). Why would people want to confuse matters (and we are talking about school kids here) by installing a second browser for people to use and go through the aggro of 'locking it down'?

back to the topic at hand- i see no reason why people arent using IE7 already, if people get stung by the same trick again... well perhaps you should consider a career change.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that for kids, and more so hapless teachers, things should be as simple as possible. Two browsers is going to confuse people in the School I work in, and people wouldn't use it anyway. Install virtual pc and get testing IE7.
    No, what you've done there is mistaken giving users' browser choice with them being 'confused'. Easy mistake to make

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    No, what you've done there is mistaken giving users' browser choice with them being 'confused'. Easy mistake to make
    I read this sentence to myself 3 times, I still don't understand what ur saying.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    IE7 will support most of them but you can just upgrade the ADM files to the IE7 versions and then you will have even more options to lock down IE.
    Is there anywhere that lists what extra options are included in the new ADM files? Is there anything that really needs to be configured or can I continue using the policies I have for IE6?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 1st February 2008 at 09:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great for you, I cant see any of my 1200 users being bothered to learn how to navigate with a new browser
    There are plenty of firefox themes to make intergrate better with what users expect/want. I, for example, use the Outlook 2003 Blue theme.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/890

Thank Post

IE7 and WSUS Rollout...

Found this in the latest TechNet Flash Email this morning...
    On February 12, 2008 Microsoft will release the Windows Internet Explorer 7 Installation and Availability update to Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). Windows Internet Explorer 7 Installation and Availability Update is a complete installation package that will upgrade machines running Internet Explorer 6 to Windows Internet Explorer 7. Customers who have configured WSUS to "auto-approve" Update Rollup packages will automatically upgrade machines running Internet Explorer 6 to Windows Internet Explorer 7 after February 12, 2008 and consequently, may want to read Knowledge Base article 946202 to manage how and when this update is installed. For more on the Windows Internet Explorer 7 Installation and Availability Update, read Knowledge Base article 940767.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12