+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, MCSE 2003.... Worth learning ? in Technical; Hello everyone! This is my first post on these forums that I stumbled across earlier on, it's a wealth of ...

Thank Post

MCSE 2003.... Worth learning ?

Hello everyone!

This is my first post on these forums that I stumbled across earlier on, it's a wealth of information!! I've had a rummage around and many of my questions are already answered.

But I was looking to self-study MCSE, ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-70-...0847941&sr=1-1 using this ) I've found out where you book the exams from ( Prometric now ).

My main question is though, with what I assume will be MCSE 2008 not too far away. Is it worth waiting for that and skipping 2003? My job does not require I know MCSE, I wish to learn to get a better job in a year or two, so MCSE 2003 may be nearing it's end days and no longer a saught after skill.

Can anyone please advise me if this is likely to be the case or if there are any advantages about getting 2003 and then 2008?

Many Thanks,

Sean

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many places will still be running server 2003 for some time, anything from 1 to 3 years (there are still places only just moving from NT4 to Server 2003, and some still running W2K Server.)

It will still be a valid qualification (no snipes about MCSEs folks ... they are valid and when backed up with experience and ability can help weed out the unworthy!)

As well keeping up to date in here I would also pop over to CertForums for more advice and help ... they are a nice bunch over there.

Let us know what you decided on either way, and how you use it all in your school.

Thank Post
    It really depends on what you are actually trying to move on to?
    Different qualifications are required for different jobs. If you only want to move in the Microsoft type sector then the MS qualifications are probably best. If you are more interested in Networking or PC repair, you might want to look at CompTIA Network+ or A+. There again there are also the Unix/Linux qualifications, the list goes on.
    Obviously the more qualifications you have the better it looks, but also experience counts for a lot as well.
    I was looking at jobs a while ago & most are requiring a minimum of three years experience.

Thank Post

Smile Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gr44 View Post
    Hello everyone!

This is my first post on these forums that I stumbled across earlier on, it's a wealth of information!! I've had a rummage around and many of my questions are already answered.

But I was looking to self-study MCSE, ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-70-...0847941&sr=1-1 using this ) I've found out where you book the exams from ( Prometric now ).

My main question is though, with what I assume will be MCSE 2008 not too far away. Is it worth waiting for that and skipping 2003? My job does not require I know MCSE, I wish to learn to get a better job in a year or two, so MCSE 2003 may be nearing it's end days and no longer a saught after skill.

Can anyone please advise me if this is likely to be the case or if there are any advantages about getting 2003 and then 2008?

Many Thanks,

Sean
    Go for the 2003 MCSE first- most businesses will be using this for some time. I even know of some places that still run NT4 Server. Microsoft's certification roadmap shows that 2003 will be here as a cert for a long time. In fact I would go a step "further" and prepare first for the MCSA (a quicker and easier introduction to Microsoft certification than the bigger MCSE). Begin with the MCDST then 70-270 and then on to the server side (290 and 291).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies. Please see my below quote, this is the message I put into the forum recomended by the user above. Will give you all a little more background ( sorry should have done the same here! )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

My name is Sean and I've signed up in hope of gaining some useful knowledge to assist me in improving my skills. A little about me first;

I'm 20 years old, currently living at home. I'm from Bedfordshire in the UK and rather luckily managed to land myself an IT job with a bluechip company around 2 and a half years ago. I'm part of a two-man team who look after a large project within the data center and between us we install/decommision servers (physically), network cable keep the databases updated among other various bits and bobs.

I feel I've gained a great deal of knowledge since working there but the realization has hit that I won't have a job there until the end of time and I'm never going to get paid great money there, despite my ever increasing responsibilities. Because of this I really want to start learning new skills because I'm hoping with a good previous job on my CV and a reasonable amount of experiance for my age mixed with some well known exams - I can procure a better job.

My primary goal at the moment is trying to find something that 'suits' me. I'm a little unsure what to study. I have a reasonable understanding of CCNA but the exam has recently changed and I've been unable to find the new material they have included in a book form yet. As far as I know the CCNA guides on Amazon are all for the previous revisions of the exam. Don't know if anyone can enlighten me there?

The CCNA aside though, I've also been considering PRINCE2 and MCSE. I realize all three of these are in very differant fields, hence why I'm a little lost on what to do. From a work point of view, what little I know about MCSE appeals to me more than CCNA or PRINCE2. My interest is now limited in these areas though, and value recomendations no matter where they may point.

Basically, I'd be very grateful if you could provide some advice on what exams to look at and an idea what is invovled and the skill required to complete them. I'm not stupid but will admit to currently having very few academic qualifications. I'm very competent around Windows ( from 3.1 upto XP, spent some time with Vista ) and yes, I do remember the days of DOS, as relevent as that mostly is now. I also have a fair grasp on networking/sub-netting/DHCP.

Would be very grateful for some good advice from all of you!

Thanks,

Sean
    I just ordered the 70-271 book as I figure it will be some good reading if nothing else. I think I'll have a fair knowledge of a big chunk of the book though ( he says confidently )

Thanks for your advice so far!

Thank Post
    probably the best path with the mcps is to do a+ and n+ first (these are worth an mcp for the mcsa)

then do 270- xp, 290,291- server2003.

then onto the mcse!.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    probably the best path with the mcps is to do a+ and n+ first (these are worth an mcp for the mcsa)

then do 270- xp, 290,291- server2003.

then onto the mcse!.
    Hi Strawberry,

Sorry can you run that by me again? Bare in mind I don't know huge amounts about MS certifications etc. What is MSPS and A+/N+?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    hehe, sorry, i've spent so much time on it i use the ms jargon!.

A+ and Network+ are the 2 basic comptia exams, they have a lot of out of date stuff but are very good for giving you a good basis and filling in some gaps in knowledge.

Mcps are the indivdual exams, different exams combine to make different titles, for instance the 2 comptia exams, ms 270, ms 290 and ms 291 make up the mcsa.

If your into training i very much recommend the cbt nuggets video series and the testout software.

Thank Post
    I'm confused now!!

I looked on the MS website, mainly here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...3/default.mspx regarding the MCSA. It seemed to imply ( to me ) that to pass you needed:

70-290
    70-291

Then 2 more of your choice from 2 sections? I don't see it demanding A+ or Network+ to pass, though they are mentioned down the bottom among other courses.

Don't suppose you use MSN do you? Would be very grateful if you could spare 10minutes! My msn is 'msn (AT) Gr44 (DOT)co.uk'

Thank Post
    sorry fella, dont use msn (not got round to installing it yet!)

your quite right about the exams, you have to do a client exam, you have the choice of 2000, vista or xp. Of those i'd recommend xp, 2000 is out of date and vista is a new technology (and you can use the vista exam for something else later, but ignore that for the moe!).

you also have the elective exams, one of which is a combo of N+ and A+.

Thank Post
    Blimey... I'm still rather confused if I'm honest ( maybe this is a sign I really shouldn't try and improve my skills, I'm stuck before I start! )

I think i will try and battle out the MCDST as recomended by another member first. My understanding is you just need to pass 70-271 and 272 for this?

After that I'll try and venture into the world of MCSA, then give the MCSE a shot. That CBT Nuggets website looks fairly good, but blimey, they aren't half expensive!

Think I'll see how I get on with the 271 book I ordered first! How long would you expect someone to pass (MCDST) this? I realize it's obviously never a dead set thing and can vary a huge amount, but a finger in the air, rough idea?

Probably be doing around ~15 hours a week where I can slot it in. Couple of months? Optimistic?

Thank Post
    is a confusing system mate!, mcdst is a great place to start.

cbt nuggets is very expensive mate, do have a look at testout as well. If you work for a company it might be worth asking them to sponsor it as they can reuse the resources after you dont need it anymore.

testout give about 50 hours of tuition per exam, cbt nuggets is around 25 hours i beleive. I'd look at around 2 months per exam if its stuff you know, for stuff you need to learn a little longer, but some exams you'll pick up really quickly.

Thank Post
    Well thanks very much for your help chap.

I'm a (low paid) contractor for the company I work for so no chance in getting paid exams or anything of that sort. I honestly don't mind paying for them myself though, as long as it's not wasted money.

I'm off to bed shortly but thanks for all the replies I've had this evening, will check back tomorrow evening and see if there are any more recomendations. If not I'll probably be back with a few questions on the MCDST before too long!

Thanks,

Sean

Thank Post
    deffo worth asking, the training stuff is decent value if you get a bigger package and its quite cheap if you spread the cost amoungst others. If they have a few techs you might find its already in place, or some of the other people might have paid for it already.

Thank Post
    I'm sure some place in the company it's already been paid for. If I was an FTE I could get on loads of courses anyway. Contractors have no chance though, asked many times

Might ask a few friends see if they want to go halfs on some of them or something though, never know! :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast