+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, 2003 DC server C drive in Technical; Bit of a daft question, but can DC's even be ghosted? I remember getting told a while back that ghosting ...

Thank Post
    Bit of a daft question, but can DC's even be ghosted?

I remember getting told a while back that ghosting a DC then restoring it, even on the same or identical hardware, causes lots of problems.
    Or is that all rubbish? .

Thank Post
    @boomam: If you have another DC running, then any changes made to AD whilst the iffy DC is offline should be replicated without problems when it comes back up. It's only like turning it off and on again really.

The danger comes when you restore a DC to its original state MUCH later (longer than the tombstone lifetime). That can cause problems because the iffy DC will show objects which have been deleted ages ago as still existing and the good DC will believe it, because by that time the good DC will have removed all records of the objects ever existing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    @boomam: If you have another DC running, then any changes made to AD whilst the iffy DC is offline should be replicated without problems when it comes back up. It's only like turning it off and on again really.

The danger comes when you restore a DC to its original state MUCH later (longer than the tombstone lifetime). That can cause problems because the iffy DC will show objects which have been deleted ages ago as still existing and the good DC will believe it, because by that time the good DC will have removed all records of the objects ever existing.
    What if theres just the one DC then?
    ATM, we have just one DC. If i was to ghost it to one of our NAS's for example, i take it that the restore would work fine?

Cant remember where i read about the DC ghosting problem tbh, as i never thought it made sence. .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am also suffering from this (inherited) problem.

Our win 2003 server has a 700gb disk that is partitioned into:
    C: for the OS ~ 9gb
    D: shared area for data ~ 691 gb

We are desperately short on space on c: and, as d: has 100s of gigs of free space, need to extend c: by taking some of d:

As stated above I could use something the Acronis server tools but was wondering what would happen if I did the following:

As d: is only data I could copy this to an external device. Delete the d: partition and extend c: into the unallocated space, recreate d: in some of the remaining space (leaving some for future expansion of either drive) and copy back the data.

Would this work or am I setting up problems for myself?

EDIT: just realised you cant extend system partition - ignore me
    Last edited by sparkeh; 6th February 2008 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boomam View Post
    What if theres just the one DC then?
    ATM, we have just one DC. If i was to ghost it to one of our NAS's for example, i take it that the restore would work fine?
    If you want to ghost it onto different hardware, you will have all the same problems you would have normally doing that. If you just mean you want to dump the ghost image of C onto a NAS for storage then put it back onto a bigger disk in the same hardware it should (in theory!) work.

With one DC in a standalone domain you should have no problems with replication. Nobody will be able to log in while the DC's offline though!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12