+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Using Remote Desktop Console.....any issues? in Technical; We recently moved from the server room (old toilets) to a room next door(old cupboard) because the increasing noise of ...
    Thank Post

Using Remote Desktop Console.....any issues?

We recently moved from the server room (old toilets) to a room next door(old cupboard) because the increasing noise of the servers and air con was getting unbearable. We now have a little office much quieter where the 2 of us work. We have XP Pro SP2 machines we work on and now we remote eveything. I have a RD Conole.msc set up for all the serves which i 'connect to console' with.
    I created a second RD Console.msc for the technician who has only certian servers in it that he connects to (but not to console)

We have come across a couple of teething problems but nothing too hard to sortout.

I just wondered if any one knew of any advice,issues,pro's or con's of working like this? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thank Post

Re: Using Remote Desktop Console.....any issues?

I've had problems using the /console switch with TFT refresh rates.
    After connecting using /console the server would not login locally without reporting the refresh rate was not supported.
    Log back on from the remote pc /console all works fine the only way back so far means a restart remotely and the server will be fine again.

Tried all sorts of video settings both remote and local with no joy, so when I move the server tomorrow I will be bringing it back up with a different TFT.
    I'll wait and see.

Thank Post

Do you mean Remote Desktop Connection?

I'm having a few probs with it myself.

When I try and connect to a machine through the vpn tunnel, I get a black screen and thats it. I've tried connecting to a few machines in the network but the same thing happens

Any idea whats going on?
    Is there some settings/temp folder on my home machine i should clear that might solve the problem?

Cheers [and if you are on about something else, I'll split the topic ]
    Nath

Thank Post

We get some funny things happening here, but just work round them. Remote Desktop, either the link in Communications from Accessories, or the MMC plugin, seems to affect VNC sometimes and even the login screen on others.
    Often we VNC to the server for a quick look at something and find that the screen is black and the cursor is stuck to the top left corner. Nothing we seem to be able to do about it, though we haven't investigated too much just use RDP more.
    The other problem we have found is that on occasion we try to login actually to the server and find the login fields are greyed out. To fix this you have to login by RDP and then login at the keyboard of the now locked Server.
    Mostly we have put this down to our lack of RDP knowledge though.

Thank Post

VNC works for me....Its RDC that is giving me a black screen.

RDC works quicker for me than VNC in some cases so I really need to get it back working - if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post

Along a side line.... http://www.code4ward.net/CS/blogs/c4...s/royalts.aspx Royal TS is a good way of quickly getting to your servers.

Royal TS is an alternative for the standard Terminal Services Snap-In that adds additional features, including connection specific display settings, stored login credentials and more. It allows you to connect to any server which supports RDP protocol, and the connections can be organized in custom categories for quick access. Additional features include console connections (Windows XP/2003 or later), custom RDP target port, display smart sizing, port redirection and more.
    I use it here (I have 13 servers I need to remote into) daily, with no real issues, I dont worry too much about connecting to the console (what you would see if a monitor were connected physically) and i just use the virtual sessions (the network manager sometimes is on the same box)

Definitlely a useful feature, otherwise i would have to move :P

fooby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread