+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows Thread, Play with Server 2008 in Technical; Will it be easy to migrate across to 2008? I'm just thinking it's gonna be an arse recreating GP 's ...
    Thank Post
    Will it be easy to migrate across to 2008? I'm just thinking it's gonna be an arse recreating GP's and all the rest..

Thank Post
    If you have a tidy AD then you should be able to add a 2008 DC and upgrade your schema. I haven't tried this yet but it will be the likely course of action.

Thank Post
    I'll be doing a clean install on some new servers..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Where can you get a copy of 2008 from?
    The Microsoft website has a downloadable RC. Do a search on there it should turn up.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ^^ 5yrs of development is paying off. Seriously, what new features are there.
    You've obviously not had a look at the MASSIVE improvements to group policy.
    That's just one of the things that we noticed this week.

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As matt says, the improvements are amazing. The development time has been well worth it I would say. Should make our lives a hell of a lot easier in so many ways.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    What are these improvements to gpo ? My question is genuine because I've stopped believing anything that comes from MS propaganda department, so I'm asking you guys to sift the Bulls*it.

I've previously found with group policy it's possible to write adm templates to change pretty much any resistry settings. we were told we needed win2003 for XP, when adm templates can be loaded onto 2000 server. Is there a fundamental difference to 2008 to prevent it being backwards compatible?

I was expecting new virtualisation features, as MS rush to keep up with Vmware, Citrix and the linux offerings. It seems this will be delayed until after 2008 release. Any sign of winfs?. Powershell looks an improvement (15yrs late).

Thank Post
    What are these improvements to gpo ? My question is genuine because I've stopped believing anything that comes from MS propaganda department, so I'm asking you guys to sift the Bulls*it.

I've previously found with group policy it's possible to write adm templates to change pretty much any resistry settings. we were told we needed win2003 for XP, when adm templates can be loaded onto 2000 server. Is there a fundamental difference to 2008 to prevent it being backwards compatible?

I was expecting new virtualisation features, as MS rush to keep up with Vmware, Citrix and the linux offerings. It seems this will be delayed until after 2008 release. Any sign of winfs?. Powershell looks an improvement (15yrs late).
    you make a good point about adm files, i bought the whole idea that you must have 2003 for xp-specific gpo's ....if i had known i would never had upgraded beyond win2000. win2k server does everything you need and the things that were supposed to improve things in 2003 such as the printer deployment gpo just plain don't work as advertised or are ugly solutions to a problem (check both boxes for the awful printer deployment feature)....as for the file and print mgmt gui's to me they're just purely cosmetic fluff

As for win2008, if it's better than the con that was windows server 2003 then i'm all for it - winfs was always an empty promise, they've killed it dead in the water before they dug that hole too big for them to get out of. MS realised it's just too difficult to create a truly modern fs without community support, i'm guessing winfs would have looked crap next to what sun and the open-source community have achieved with zfs anyway.

As for virtualization my understanding was that hyper-v IS the virtualization offering, and is based on xen. if as a result of microsoft efforts vmware reduce the cost of vi3 even further to retain competitive advantage then i don't care if Hyper-V is any good.

Thank Post

Powershell looks an improvement (15yrs late).
    it's funny 'cos the team behind powershell actually looked back 15 years when developing powershell - that's how wrong microsoft were with thy're cmd / wsh approach . ....the team were heavily influenced by vms and os/400 - bonafide legacy technology from way bacj wen .

and i don't think it is wrong to say that powershell itself is very heavily influenced by vms.

So yes, powershell is late, but just shows how advanced legacy technology such as vms actually was and how microsoft got it so wrong before they came to their senses.

when microsoft or the other tech companies tells you they've developed something brand spanking new, in all likelihood it's been done before in more mature technology.

after all vm's aren't new ibm were doing virtualization and thin clients decades ago, what goes around comes around if it's of real substance.

Thank Post
    @ torledo. 2003 is a far superior platform compared to 2k, IIS6 security and functionality is massively improved, reliability, VSS (so users can restore their own work). Don't get me wrong it's probably not worth running to from 2K but it's certainly a better product especially inc the disk quota/FSRM software in R2. Also loads of changes to how AD functions over WAN links, the ability to move a DC state to another location so you don't need to sync over slow links, even simple things like drag and droping of users.

@ CyberNerd, i'm not sure MS ever said that you needed 2003 to manage XP just that the adms were built in, anyone that knows active directory would know that you can just upgrade the adm templates and that's exactly what thousands of companies did.

WinFS was a massive project and they bit off more than they could chew, the other problem is that NTFS is very robust so it's difficult to better it.

As for Powershell Wasn't it Dave Cutlers vms team that MS hired to write the NT kernel, i wonder why they didn't think of those ideas back then (just popped in there).

As for virtualisation, no one inc IBM was doing this with a general purpose OS on sub $1000 hardware. That’s the difference. ICL were using virtualisation on their mainframes decades ago, you could have one for just £20,000,000.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 28th January 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    anyone that knows active directory would know that you can just upgrade the adm templates and that's exactly what thousands of companies did.
    Indeed, this was my question, is it just a UI enhancement, or is there fundamental new GPO technology in 2008 that I should be aware of.

As for virtualisation, no one inc IBM was doing this with a general purpose OS on sub $1000 hardware. That’s the difference. ICL were using virtualisation on their mainframes decades ago, you could have one for just £20,000,000.
    VMWare Desktop was launched in 1999
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmware#Desktop_software

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well for a start, the file format has changed. They have a .admx extension now, because they are written in XML. So the template upgrade trick wont work.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

There is also a AD schema extension for the WiFi GPO stupport.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727029.aspx

There are new 'functional' areas of GPO that require W2k8 and Vista to work. These include:

- Power Management
    - Blocking of Device Installation
    - Combined IPSec and Firewall Settings
    - Redone IE settings
    - Printer Assignment based on Location
    - Delegating Printer driver installation to users
    Last edited by Geoff; 28th January 2008 at 10:05 AM.

14. Thanks to Geoff from:

CyberNerd (28th January 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post

WinFS was a massive project and they bit off more than they could chew, the other problem is that NTFS is very robust so it's difficult to better it.

As for virtualisation, no one inc IBM was doing this with a general purpose OS on sub $1000 hardware. Thatís the difference. ICL were using virtualisation on their mainframes decades ago, you could have one for just £20,000,000.
    NTFS is not robust compared to the proprietary unix filesystems, most of which are VxFS based. And NTFS is light years behind what ZFS is and will be capable of doing in the future. Again, we have to look back to vms, as to how a truly robust filesystem and volume manager could have been accomplished by the great minds at microsoft....just a shame they weren't pinching ideas wholesale from the vms implementation when it really mattered.

Thank Post
    Protected OU's is a start, the ability to have multiple password policies is a big one, read only domain controllers as well. Basically it's much more than a GUI upgrade.

VMware err yes and it VMs general purpose OS's on low cost hardware.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast