+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, acer laptop wireless woes in Technical; Not sure if this is in the right forum, apologies if it's not. Deputy's laptop on school domain - with ...
    Thank Post

acer laptop wireless woes

Not sure if this is in the right forum, apologies if it's not.
    Deputy's laptop on school domain - with local admin account to logon to at home. Until recently was able to connect to BT hub wirelessly at home laptop now refuses point blank to connect (their other laptop connects fine), I've done a 'home visit' (couple of streets away) and tried everything I could think of, took it home it connects to my router and a friends bt hub. Now unfortunately this has coincided with the school having a new server/domain and wireless network so of course this is being blamed for the problem. But as the home logon is a local admin profile this won't have changed with adding the laptop to a new domain would it?
    I disabled the intel network management to connect to the school wireless network, but have since tried using both that and windows networking to connect to their hub. Even used the BT disc to set it up from scratch but it couldn't connect, updated the intel network drivers no joy.

PEO
    Thank Post
    I had this problem, some one had a router in my area probably on same channel, so i changed the hannel on my router and it connected. may be worth trying.

hope that is any help

Thank Post
    Well they have a vista laptop that connects ok so wouldn't that be affected too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    What is everything you could think of ?

Just above you said you had tried everything you could think of and would help us if we knew what those things were so we are not repeating suggestions if they are things that you have already tried ....

Thank Post
    Good point!
    I had set the laptop to use the microsoft wireless setup, in 'view available networks' it was picking up the bt hub but not needing the wep key and was attempting to connect automatically, but the network wasn't showing in the preferred networks in network connection properties, so there was nothing to remove to force the wep key to be input again.
    I deleted all wireless profiles in the intel management utility and set up a new one manually.
    The ip address isn't static - checked that, with a cable connected fine, connected to the hub. You can't seem to get to all the hub settings like a normal router.
    Updated wireless network driver.
    Connected to friend's identical hub with no problem and connected to wireless network at school automatically.
    Nothing's changed on the laptop other than a new domain, but the local account is used at home and there has been no change on their home internet setup so if the laptop is using an old profile to connect it should work because nothing's altered!

Thank Post
    If you go to view available wireless networks --> advanced settings --> click on available wireless networks tab ( I think its called that ) there should be a section on there where you can manually enter the wireless name , wep key etc and also I tend to let windows manage the wireless network connections because the wireless utility does not load before the windows logon screen, I think Geoff mentioned something you could do for intel wireless to make a service run in the background or something along those lines ( Can't remember the details exactly )

Not sure if the above is what you have tried already ? If it is already in there may be worth while deleting it and re entering in the info.

Short of that re create a local profile ( with local admin privs ) and try again ?

Just a thought.

The only other thing is that you said you connected to another bt home hub fine ( did that bt home hub ask for wep key settings etc ) ?

If so then maybe there is a setting on the bt home hub that needs altering or that bt home hub needs re configuring or a power cycle - I would not suggest you do a factory reset on it unless you speak to BT and they advise you to do so.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 11th January 2008 at 09:39 AM.

Thank Post
    I tried that as well, set up manually in windows wireless. I also used the domain admin account whilst at their house as that wouldn't have been used to connect to their network.

PEO
    Thank Post
    May be worth getting in touch with BT, it has been known for them to change the encryption key on customers wireless router and not notify them. I think this would be your next step, as you have already said it connects fine to your router and your friends BT wireless router and the router in question via cat5 cable.

Thank Post
    Good point Kev - I have not personally been with BT directly so not had anyone change any key on me - at least not yet.

Thank Post
    I'm pretty convinced the problem isn't laptop based, but with comments like 'it was ok until you installed the new server and you configured wireless network at school you start to doubt your own judgement.
    If Bt changed the wep key wouldn't that affect their other laptop that connects ok?

Thank Post
    If you take another laptop from your school and try and connect it to there bt home hub do you still have the same issue ?

PEO
    Thank Post
    ok now you have got me scratching my nut

If the other laptop connects wireless then it can't be encryption.

Does the laptop have a static IP address? will be diffrent to the one used at home

Thank Post
    Other laptop's going home tonight, I'm kicking myself because I could have taken one round with me but didn't.
    No static addresses.

PEO
    Thank Post
    ok, is it possible access the bt router control panel?

if the other laptop dosen't work, just try changing channel number. I have come across the same problem before. one machine would connect and the other couldn't find the router at all. changing the channel solved the problem.

let us know how you get on. also the laptop been member of a domain should not have any impact on connecting to other wireless networks.

Thank Post
    I logged into the hub but once you have logged on initally you can only see basic settings, to get to advanced settings you practically had to fill a whole page questionaire in! It looked as no-one had logged into it before so no setttings would have changed from when the laptop used to be able to connect. To be honest I was at that point fending off questions as to whether I had installed any software that would have 'mucked' up the wireless as well as explaining that having moved the laptop from one domain to another wouldn't have made any difference!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread