+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, school password protected pictures in Technical; I need some advice please we need to create a shared location on our pier to pier network we have ...
    Thank Post

Question school password protected pictures

I need some advice please we need to create a shared location on our pier to pier network we have a linkstation

(as a shared drive but I cannot get the password protected folders option to allow me to log in, when I create a shared folder with a user name and password.)

So I have given up with that idea and am now looking for a free way to do it. Or an industry standard way of doing it.
    Or someone who knows how we are suppost to do it to meet whatever criteria we need to meet if you know what i mean

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by selu View Post
    I need some advice please we need to create a shared location on our pier to pier network
    Hmm. A well-anchored floating cement platform, or something constructed around piling for a more permanent solution?

we have a linkstation (as a shared drive but I cannot get the password protected folders option to allow me to log in, when I create a shared folder with a user name and password.)
    How do you try to connect to the linksation? Do you try to connect by IP address or domain name? Can you ping the linkstation from the machine you are trying to connect from? Do you get some kind of error message when you try and connect? What operating system are you running on the machine that you are trying to connect from?

So I have given up with that idea and am now looking for a free way to do it.
    Okay. You've already bought the Linkstation, which is a dedicated device built just for this kind of thing, so I'd keep trying a while longer with that.

How many client machines do you need to connect to your file server? What sort of files? The easiest way to build a shared file server is to get a PC (case, motherboard, processor, RAM - you probably don't need a powerful one, something second-hand will probably do), put a couple of harddrives in it, install Ubuntu Linux (nice, easy-to-use install, just click on a few icons) and configure it as a Samba file server (again, all easily accomplished with a few mouse clicks).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Linkstation - ubuntu

Linux box had crossed my mind.
    Linkstation is old not new spent 4 hours trying with shared folders.
    No rules then just make the effort

Thank Post
    Linux box had crossed my mind.
    You might find that you can use the harddrives out of your old Linkstation. I'd go for nice new SATA drives if you can, though, made easily swapable by installing them in front-loading caddies.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread