+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, [Resolved] Internet Explorer on Terminal Services problem in Technical; Hi all I have a user that when he logs onto one of our Terminal services servers, IE works fine ...
    Thank Post

[Resolved] Internet Explorer on Terminal Services problem

Hi all

I have a user that when he logs onto one of our Terminal services servers, IE works fine with internal and external sites - as you'd expect.

But then when he is logged onto another of the TS servers [of the same group of TS servers i.e. same build etc], internal websites work but external websites i.e. google etc dont work and eventually he gets a page cannot be displayed.

The user, like the majority of the users, has a TS roaming profile, so if it works on one, it should work on all I would have thought but doesnt seem to be the case.

He uses three TS servers, and only one [and always the same one] works fine for him, but the other two dont.

Of course, this wouldn't be a huge problem except that the system load balances so he doesnt choose the server.

Any thoughts welcome cheers [except for things like "rebuild the servers" and stuff like that - fixing is required not cheating ].

Nath.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are IE settings setup via Group Policy? If so, perhaps it's not applying correctly?

Thank Post
    I did think of that but doesnt quite tally, as other users are fine, and although IE's proxy [and other] settings are deployed via GP, I remember seeing previously that the GP settings is set per machine over the per user settings [sorry... cant remember the setting offhand].

I've checked the user settings i.e. by looking at the IE properties and the proxy is all set in there and active so cant understand whats happening.

[digress]hi again geoff - been a while - been so busy "learning the ropes" of this place too[/digress]

Any other thoughts?

Thank Post
    I know this isnt a fix so to speak but what about creating another user account in AD for that user and see i the issue still occurs ?

In the time being you can keep his existing account and change the password on it and play around with that account to see if you can establish what caused it to happen or what the issue is and go from there ?

Thank Post
    Hi gecko

He told me that before that he's had his profile recreated recently so effectively, its the same thing - plus other users in his department/OU/room using the same servers have no problem with this, and I dont believe his AD user object would have anything different to the others.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it may be worth a try if nothing else can be found. Profile creation is a pain here, and i've got some big jobs on so could do without that.

If it came to it, i can force the system to loadbalance him to use the one server that works for him, but wont be much help if that server is down for any long period of time lol

Havent had any luck googling this issue, or finding anything on the MS KB articles - but my searching skills are a bit pants most of the time so feel free to look if your inquisitive hehe

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How often do you remove cached profiles from your terminal servers (eg with delprof)?

Thank Post
    ( Not actually having used terminal servers before I can't really be of much more help ) Are there any specific errors that you are getting on the terminal server relating to that user or the machine the user is using so as to at least try and point us in the correct direction or which may give us an idea ?

Just a thought - not sure if its possible or not.

Thank Post
    How often do you remove cached profiles from your terminal servers (eg with delprof)?
    Meant to mention that too... checked on both of the two servers that the user has a problem on and there was no cached copy of his profile there for it to cause a problem.... so odd isn't it.

Good point Gecko... I'll take a look at the Event Viewer of the server when i get back from lunch just in case there is something logged when he tries, but the odd thing is why does normal internal websites work when external ones dont? Is that something that would particularly be logged in the Event Viewer I wonder.

Nath.

Thank Post
    Solved - hopefully...

resorted to renaming the TS profile dir and recreating from scratch [by getting the user to logon to *the TS server where the user had problems with IE*].

Copied the desktop shortcuts needed and favourites back to the new profile [My Docs set via GP to one of our NAS storage boxes so that needs no setup] and configured Outlook and done.

IE working fine - internal and external, even when logging in and out of the server.

The load balancer assigns the same server all day [oddly] so hopefully, as there is no traces of any of his old profiles [that the system will use], if he gets assigned a different server tomorrow, it should all work fine.

Perhaps the profile that was recreated last time [around Dec i think] was done properly or something. Hard to know but all working so thats good

Thought I mention what i did in case anyone else has the same problem and searches the forum for it.

Thanks for the thoughts guys... always welcome.
    Nath.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread