+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, medical room database in Technical; Our medical room has for many years recorded all pupil incidents on paper. Last year i used my basic Access ...

Thank Post

medical room database

Our medical room has for many years recorded all pupil incidents on paper.
    Last year i used my basic Access knowledge to create a database for recording these incidents and then being able to print reports off about individual pupils etc.
    How ever its not realy powerful enough.

Has any one else got some sort of software for recording cuts and falls etc or when pupils are sent home etc.

We run serco facilty. I'm suprised they don't do a plugin for such data.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have just checked with our Matron. Here is what she does:

Login to the facility as normal. Select 'Students', Then 'Main Window' Once in there select the 'Medical' tab. See attached pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveP; 10th January 2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Amend [update] content of post.

Thank Post
    This is odd because 5mins ago I was talking to the new school nurse who asked if we had a medical database where she can basically keep track of students.. how many times they have visited etc and the problems.

So I initally thought... ooh Im going to have to create one. But then I thought sims may already have such feature. It does but its not confidential and anybody with sims access can see the students records.

I'm still looking for a solution.

Thank Post
    @techyphil

Yeah, the medical part in SIMS is for emergencies and/or allergies and the basic "Class Teacher" access is read-only. So if a kid has a medical condition (diabetes / allergies / exploding heads) staff know "ah, Jimmy is having an exploding head problem" and take the appropriate action.

There is a function to attach notes, and I think that's used for incident reporting here.

The impression I get is (non-emergency) appointments with our school nurse are often about things the kids don't want to discuss with their family doctor / parents / school*. Storing such data on school systems tends to undermine that.

*We have a nurse come in from outside every week/couple of weeks.

Thank Post
    Did anybody ever find any software for this its a real shame that SIMS doesn't have a section such as a 'LINK' to a medical module just to keep everything under one umbrella.

I'm also looking into this now but it seem nothing exists?

Cheers
    Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    You can add medical notes to a students detail page in Sims and set it as either confidential or public info, or am I missing the point?

Thank Post
    Hi JoshJohnson,

No your not missing the point. I see where you are coming from but we've been asked to log every student that goes to the medical room and to keep a log of all the medicines we hold for the students in the school.

Basically it was our Business Manager that said we will soon be required to have all this information. I was hoping somebody may have created something or know of any software ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    So is it that you don't like the way you have to enter this info in to Sims, or you want a better way of looking at this info once it's entered? (i.e. view a list of students who you're holding medicine for as opposed to going in to individual student detail pages)

If it's the latter, have you considered using Access along with a couple of Sims XML reports to give you some more freedom over how you can get the info you need?

I've made something along those lines recently because Sims reports can be a bit counter intuitive at times...

Thank Post
    Hi John,

Basically Sims student profile is very limited on what information it can hold. It don't give you the flexibility to hold student medicines shuch as Type of Medicene, Expiary Date, Amount Administered and Side Effects. The we have the same problem for when a student comes into the medical room we have an excel spreadsheet where all the data in being input by the office staff.

Cheers,

Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread