+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Can't install printer in Technical; I don't know if this is windows problem or a hardware problem but I have a certain type of machine ...
    Thank Post

Can't install printer

I don't know if this is windows problem or a hardware problem but I have a certain type of machine that I am unable to install a local printer on. I have tried several different machines (all of the same type) and several different printers (all of different types) to no effect. The installation gets so far and then comes up with a "Cannot copy file" error which is cancelable but then the error repeats for about 30 different files before the installation gives up. I have tried the installation with the same result with both parellel and USB printers. However, a printer is mappable over the network wihout a problem.

Any ideas?

Tom

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tscnmuk View Post
    I don't know if this is windows problem or a hardware problem but I have a certain type of machine that I am unable to install a local printer on. I have tried several different machines (all of the same type) and several different printers (all of different types) to no effect. The installation gets so far and then comes up with a "Cannot copy file" error which is cancelable but then the error repeats for about 30 different files before the installation gives up. I have tried the installation with the same result with both parellel and USB printers. However, a printer is mappable over the network wihout a problem.
    Had this happen with the HP K550 and a server with Win Server 2003 (and this is the important bit) with HighPoint RocketRaid SATA Raid card installed.

Seems the folks at Hewlett Packard and HighPoint seem to think that naming all their files with hp_foo.ext, etc... was their right so it seems that a file tries to overwrite another one.

It's likely you're seeing something similar but I could be wrong.

Thank Post

Angry

Although different brands I wouldn't be suprised if you have hit the nail on the head there. I just cleanly installed the PC, and installed the printer before doing ANYTHING else.

Before using the supplied driver disk, the printer installation runs fine. As soon as it is on, it won't install.

What a pain!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tscnmuk View Post
    Although different brands I wouldn't be suprised if you have hit the nail on the head there. I just cleanly installed the PC, and installed the printer before doing ANYTHING else.

Before using the supplied driver disk, the printer installation runs fine. As soon as it is on, it won't install.
    Sounds like we got it but that doesn't solve the problem sadly.

I guess it's a case of ditching the printer or contacting their tech support and explaining the problem and possibly the conflicting hardware if you can figure it out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread