+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Chrome - Ask where to save files in Technical; Anyone here been able to globally set the setting on chrome for 'Ask where to save each file before downloading'? ...

Thank Post

Chrome - Ask where to save files

Anyone here been able to globally set the setting on chrome for 'Ask where to save each file before downloading'? I've had a look through the ADMX and there aren't any settings for it. I've tried editing the master_preferences file as mentioned - Google Chrome vs IE - Looking for the "Open / Save / Cancel" options? but that didn't seem to work either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkZ View Post
    I've tried editing the master_preferences file but that didn't seem to work either.
    The settings in the master_preferences file will only be read the first time a user opens the browser and doesn't already have a Chrome profile i.e. the entire %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome folder doesn't exist.

If your users have mandatory profiles, then you could simply edit the Preferences file (in \Google\Chrome\User Data\Default) so that it contains the setting highlighted below.

Code:
       "download": {
          "directory_upgrade": true,
          "extensions_to_open": "",
          "prompt_for_download": true
       },
    Last edited by Arthur; 29th July 2014 at 09:13 PM.

3. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

LinkZ (30th July 2014), xenonive (29th July 2014)

Thank Post
    We do use mandatory profiles and the \Google\Chrome\User Data\Default didn't exist (I had deleted the entire google directory before). I remade them and added that Preferences files like you mentioned and it's working. Thanks very much.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information